• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
GaWx said:
deltadog03 said:
I think you could realistically say by the end of the month pattern change. Maybe as soon as 10 days from now.

Agreed and the 12Z GEFS agrees as it says the transition is 1/24 and we go to a little below normal 1/25 through the end of its run.

Good news. The 12 EPS is actually about one day faster than the 12z GEFS.

GaWx said:
GaWx said:
deltadog03 said:
I think you could realistically say by the end of the month pattern change. Maybe as soon as 10 days from now.

Agreed and the 12Z GEFS agrees as it says the transition is 1/24 and we go to a little below normal 1/25 through the end of its run.

haven't had time to look yet. that's good news Larry . Sounds like we are on track

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

wow the 12z eps looks really good . there is actually really good model agreement now as we roll forward for a return to colder weather . Lots to consider, can we get the the STJ involved? How long will the pattern hold ? Wildcard is the PNA, if it comes to life we could have some real fun.

I'm still on the fence about the sustainability of the pattern . I for sure don't see any longterm cold pattern locking in. still feel like it's going to be a quick window and that's fine with me.

January 26th - February 12th seems to be our window at this point.

Fun times ahead

Storm5 said:
wow the 12z eps looks really good . there is actually really good model agreement now as we roll forward for a return to colder weather . Lots to consider, can we get the the STJ involved? How long will the pattern hold ? Wildcard is the PNA, if it comes to life we could have some real fun.
I'm still on the fence about the sustainability of the pattern . I for sure don't see any longterm cold pattern locking in. still feel like it's going to be a quick window and that's fine with me.
Fun times ahead
Just sucks that we can't get blocking. Or we are just going to have 2-3 days cold shots, but we could time one out like this past weekend! With the long term set up looking more Nino-like, with split flow possibilities, would really love to have blocking actually materialize!

Storm5 said:

Fun times ahead

I would agree that given the setup we have 2-3 wks of a good setup and after that winter may be over in the SE but we'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Storm5 said:
Guests please take 30 seconds to register.  We have some really exciting news coming within the next ten days. Sign up now so you don't miss anything

Oh lordy, can't we just tell them now?!

Shawn said:
Storm5 said:
Guests please take 30 seconds to register.  We have some really exciting news coming within the next ten days. Sign up now so you don't miss anything

Oh lordy, can't we just tell them now?!

I am ready for it!  :cool:

Storm5 said:
GaWx said:
GaWx said:

haven't had time to look yet. that's good news Larry . Sounds like we are on track

Yep, and we can now add the 18Z GEFS, which has similar pattern change timing to the 12Z GEFS, if not a little faster though not as fast as the 12Z EPS.

Just to give an idea of the change per the 18Z GEFS: 850's average a whopping +8C to +9C now through 1/23 for Birmingham-ATL-AHN-GSP-Charlotte-RDU corridor. Then they fall to 0C 1/25-1/27 (end of run, when E US trough firmly in place). That represents about a 15F drop, which is quite a clearcut signal considering we're talking ensemble mean here as well as being pretty far out in time.

So, in summary, change is very likely a coming for the last week of January but not before we have a pretty long run of some very pleasant wx dominating. It is hard to beat the ups and downs of a typical southern winter!

SoutheastRidge said:
What is the exciting news ?
There are some good things in the works. They should start trickling in soon :)

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

GaWx said:
Storm5 said:
GaWx said:

Yep, and we can now add the 18Z GEFS, which has similar pattern change timing to the 12Z GEFS, if not a little faster though not as fast as the 12Z EPS.

Just to give an idea of the change per the 18Z GEFS: 850's average a whopping +8C to +9C now through 1/23 for Birmingham-ATL-AHN-GSP-Charlotte-RDU corridor. Then they fall to 0C 1/25-1/27 (end of run, when E US trough firmly in place). That represents about a 15F drop, which is quite a clearcut signal considering we're talking ensemble mean here as well as being pretty far out in time.

So, in summary, change is very likely a coming for the last week of January but not before we have a pretty long run of some very pleasant wx dominating. It is hard to beat the ups and downs of a typical southern winter!
Personally, I don't mind relatively long breaks in the cold. I would think that constant cold for months would get a little old.

Tarheel1 said:
Storm5 said:
Fun times ahead
Just sucks that we can't get blocking. Or we are just going to have 2-3 days cold shots, but we could time one out like this past weekend! With the long term set up looking more Nino-like, with split flow possibilities, would really love to have blocking actually materialize!
honestly at this point we will have to just take our chances with timing which isn't anything new with how the winters have gone over the past few years .

SD said:
SoutheastRidge said:
There are some good things in the works.  They should start trickling in soon :)

SD,  do you think it will be another transient type pattern setting up or does this one have merit with it or isn't too early to know for sure? I know I've heard talk about a little strat warming and things changing in pacific but wasn't sure if that would be enough to shake things up compared to what's been happening so far. I personally don't want another transient setup because it's tough, esp in the south. I'm rooting for a different setup compared to what we have had so far. 

Starting to get a little excited for the period of Jan 25ish-Feb 12ish. Looks like some possible fun and games.

Golf7070 said:
SD said:
SoutheastRidge said:
There are some good things in the works.  They should start trickling in soon :)

SD,  do you think it will be another transient type pattern setting up or does this one have merit with it or isn't too early to know for sure? I know I've heard talk about a little strat warming and things changing in pacific but wasn't sure if that would be enough to shake things up compared to what's been happening so far. I personally don't want another transient setup because it's tough, esp in the south. I'm rooting for a different setup compared to what we have had so far. 
I think that we will transition to a colder pattern in the 10-15 day period. The ridge/above normal heights in East Canada will play a big role. I noticed the euro control developed a Rex block in this area on the 12z run which seems a little extreme. All things considered if we can see the pacific jet retract and get some pacific help we could get a decent sustained period of cold. I will say I don't think it's impossible to think we are tracking a threat in about 2 weeks

whatalife said:
Starting to get a little excited for the period of Jan 25ish-Feb 12ish. Looks like some possible fun and games.

Yep really want to slow the pac jet. Looking near the Aleutians to the goa in about days 7-10

Talk Weather is back up. Just saying for the people that didn't know.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Well the last time you guys predicted we would enter a good period you were right. I remember people in December saying Jan 5-10 was a good period so I'm trusting you are right this time when you say late Jan and early Feb is another good period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back