• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 8-9 Wintery Weather Potential!

I think you're close but that elevation needs to be considered more for the areas in red as opposed to their Piedmont Counterpart. A lot of people forget that even Hendersonville has a higher elevation than Asheville, Sylva or Marshall. I think those areas will do good here.

View attachment 62434
Asheville and Hendersonville are essentially at the same elevation, both around 2100' although im sure the elevation varies some.

Just curious. What is the southern extent of the upstate ? Are Greenwood and Newberry in the upstate ?
Northern Upstate is Oconee, Pickens, Greenville (more north of Simpsonville), Spartanburg (Woodruff north), Cherokee county and Gaffney. Central upstate is Anderson, southern Spartanburg and Greenville counties, Laurens, and Union. Southern upstate is Abbeville, Greenwood, and Newberry. Western upstate is Greenville county to the west and west of I26 once you get into Laurens County, eastern upstate is Spartanburg county towards the east and east of I26 in Laurens.

Asheville and Hendersonville are essentially at the same elevation, both around 2100' although im sure the elevation varies some.

Hendersonville sits higher than Asheville. Nothing I said wasn't factual.

Hendersonville: 2152'
Asheville: 2134'
Sylva: 2,036′

Hendersonville sometimes get's forgotten in regards to elevation because of it's lack of proximity to some of the higher mountains in NC (Smokies for Sylva, Black Mountains for Asheville) but it does in fact sit higher.

Northern Upstate is Oconee, Pickens, Greenville (more north of Simpsonville), Spartanburg (Woodruff north), Cherokee county and Gaffney. Central upstate is Anderson, southern Spartanburg and Greenville counties, Laurens, and Union. Southern upstate is Abbeville, Greenwood, and Newberry. Western upstate is Greenville county to the west and west of I26 once you get into Laurens County, eastern upstate is Spartanburg county towards the east and east of I26 in Laurens.
Is Rock Hill in the upstate ?

Hendersonville sometimes get's forgotten in regards to elevation because of it's lack of proximity to some of the higher mountains in NC (Smokies for Sylva, Black Mountains for Asheville) but it does in fact sit higher.
Thanks for confirming that Asheville and Hendersonville are essentially the same elevation.

A lot of people also do not realize that the French Broad River actually flows North through the mountains of NC. Where as the FB River Valley in it's headwaters in Transylvania and Henderson is a relatively flat plateau, it is actually higher in elevation than it's Madison County river counterpart and all their beautiful Canyons and Peaks that if flows through. Quite the illusion.

I think you're close but that elevation needs to be considered more for the areas in red as opposed to their Piedmont Counterpart. A lot of people forget that even Hendersonville has a higher elevation than Asheville, Sylva or Marshall. I think those areas will do good here.

View attachment 62434
Upslope helps out that area for sure. The highest totals from this storm very well could be from those areas transylvania and Henderson countys.

Thanks for confirming that Asheville and Hendersonville are essentially the same elevation.

That's funny battle to fight and lose, especially to someone who lives here, but carry on with the banter if you so choose. Point being, the elevation of the Southern Mountains is much higher than the Piedmont areas of the same shade, and I feel are better situated for better snow chances. The models tend to agree.

Nice shift from 6z to 12z

Attachments

• 9EB5EDE9-30B3-4E57-B03C-C260C592683D.png
    9EB5EDE9-30B3-4E57-B03C-C260C592683D.png
    88.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 45B697E6-E189-46BB-B398-17A04F78A5E0.png
    45B697E6-E189-46BB-B398-17A04F78A5E0.png
    88.4 KB · Views: 24
dca7e61ca47c8bc216d2e2d7dfe25481.jpg

Looks good north of 85 and western nc even eastern nc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back