• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 3rd-6th, 2018 Winter Storm The ARCC/Xtreme Weather Special

Almost identical to 6z with just a glancing blow to the OBX... at least it didn't go east on us. My gut says the Euro tries to phase and pulls this inland a touch more... we shall see in a couple hours

Almost identical to 6z with just a glancing blow to the OBX... at least it didn't go east on us. My gut says the Euro tries to phase and pulls this inland a touch more... we shall see in a couple hours
I’d still be excited about the possibility if I lived near the Carolina coast and a touch inland .

I'm cautiously optimistic. Feels much like Dec 1989 right now. It really does.

December 1989 had a positively tilted trough axis from the eastern US to Greenland and was really just a bonafide overrunning event, the longwave here is negatively tilted, just gets shunted a little faster w/o much Greenland blocking as was prevalent in the Jan 2000 case. This is a hybrid of the two in a large sense.
Dec 22-24 1989 N hem 500mb.gif

December 1989 had a positively tilted trough axis from the eastern US to Greenland and was really just a bonafide overrunning event, the longwave here is negatively tilted, just gets shunted a little faster w/o much Greenland blocking as was prevalent in the Jan 2000 case. This is a hybrid of the two in a large sense.
View attachment 2447
Is it rare to have two short waves coming over the ridge in the west phase into each other and produce a big winter snow storm?

View attachment 2447

Glad yoi said it with the hybrid of the two cause I had thought it for a couple of days now. Definitely looking at bombogenesis once this gets cranking.

Similarities with the surface high strength from Dec 1989 and now are eerie as well. ..

@Webberweather53 what was the setup behind Feb '73?

1973021012.gif

I was already looking it up lol
There you go

Back