• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 3rd-6th, 2018 Winter Storm The ARCC/Xtreme Weather Special

What I do like is that the chasing energy is further west as mentioned. That's a good sign.
6Z
namconus_z500_vort_us_52.png

12Z
namconus_z500_vort_us_50.png

That Ridge axis also keep sliding west as well.

Maybe someone can chime in as I can't remember. Do we get upper air obs in that area of Canada or are we really flying blind untik the waves hit the US border. I know our upper air network is sparse, but how sparse?
I believe Canada has some sites the trailing wave is currently near the end of the Aleutian chain and won't be over Canada until midday Monday

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ARCC you thinking this has any chance of trending good enough to get some of us back in the game? Or will this be situation where it would be more for the Carolina folks?

I believe Canada has some sites the trailing wave is currently near the end of the Aleutian chain and won't be over Canada until midday Monday

That will be fun waiting..lol

For the lead wave the models want to sort of thumb heights in over the top of it in northern BC. I wonder if that will have any effect in slowing it down. I mean we aren't asking for much
9c760fe51927a20dab102dc1025c34b4.jpg

That's very good for banding right?
Could set up a nice explosive deform band, I don't even wan to think about it right now and get my hopes up lol... btw you closer to the Bay or down near Va/NC border?

Maybe someone can chime in as I can't remember. Do we get upper air obs in that area of Canada or are we really flying blind untik the waves hit the US border. I know our upper air network is sparse, but how sparse?

Webb posted a map the other day of air obs over Canada and the US, I'll see if I can find it or maybe he can post it again.

ARCC you thinking this has any chance of trending good enough to get some of us back in the game? Or will this be situation where it would be more for the Carolina folks?

I think it could, but it would be light. Like I said last night, I could see this getting back to where we were when the thead started. Perhaps a small stripe of 1-2" snow across deep southern AL/GA before nailing south east GA, a chunk of SC and NC. However I could see us in central AL seeing snow showers if that occurs, which would be a huge win from where we were yesterday.

Could set up a nice explosive deform band, I don't even wan to think about it right now and get my hopes up lol... btw you closer to the Bay or down near Va/NC border?

Webb posted a map the other day of air obs over Canada and the US, I'll see if I can find it or maybe he can post it again.

Awesome. I must have missed it.

So this is ***OLD**. from the WED night 00z thur on the 28th, from the CMC. Just for comparison to where we are now

4cfc8342b761efdcfe9ed5a2bdf2eb8f.jpg

You can find it if you do a google search for "University of Wyoming Upper air" or something along those lines. At their site you'll find a map w/ all the upper air sites across North America and you can load skew-Ts for upper air data at some stations going back to 1973
http://weather.uwyo.edu/upperair/sounding.html

You can find it if you do a google search for "University of Wyoming Upper air" or something along those lines. At their site you'll find a map w/ all the upper air sites across North America and you can load skew-Ts for upper air data at some stations going back to 1973
http://weather.uwyo.edu/upperair/sounding.html
The soundings from PANT have never been so relevant to me
1c06097d6a7c32da7d379506f1eb7751.jpg

0db66111c5b1b221b7d45dbfaaed3769.gif

I live in Suffolk a little west of Virginia Beach. South of the Chesapeake bay

Back