• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

As the SSWE’s circulation temp anomalies propagate downward into the troposphere by later in the 2nd week of January, we will see cross polar flow begin to develop and dump colder air into N America.
The ridge building north of Alaska in the arctic circle will be our conduit that starts to send Siberian air into N America by the 3rd week of the month, hence why I think that period and slightly beyond holds the most promise for snow in the southern us.
Any storms before the 3rd-4th week of January is probably gonna be gravy imo

View attachment 61692
This of course isn’t to say we can’t see snow before then, the pattern generally looks marginally favorable from about I40 and pts north during the first 10-12 days of the month and arguably really good for the mid Atlantic.
Things just look a lot less marginal the following week or so in January imo

Not optimistic, but as others have said, not the worst trends either:

View attachment 61693
Yeah this one is close enough to get my attention but really seems like it's going to favor areas just to our north. Good setup though to maybe end the rain as a brief snow shower

Last edited:

It’s been my findings that a big dog SE snow usually is a result of a S/W dropping south and east out of the Four Corners, across Texas , into the GOM, across or just south of the FL Panhandle, and up the East Coast passing 100-150 east of Hatteras on a NNE heading. That is usually coupled with a good strong HP across the upper Midwest to press the cold into the moisture.

Trade of a more southern track for less “confluence” if you wanna call it that, ahh cold pocket aloft type things

Back