• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

Pretty sad when this look translates to rain during peak climo View attachment 61707

The mountains get crushed. We can always take a roadtrip. But yeah it doesn’t look all that exciting otherwise. Heckuva winter for rain lovers though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
We're missing a "good" high pressure to feed down the cold. As others have said, this thing has to generate its own cold; and we know how that usually works out.
I’ve seen it work in March but there just isn’t an inkling of cold to be found anywhere on this side of the northern hemisphere. We should be seeing at least some -20’s and -30’s up in to Canada by now.93F8D25F-F0B8-4971-BDB7-6614A526A0D5.png

We're missing a "good" high pressure to feed down the cold. As others have said, this thing has to generate its own cold; and we know how that usually works out.

Those cold cores only work in Texas. But yeah that’s our only shot aside from altitude. Canada is

Got big areas of standing water in my yard, typically only see them in tropical type systems or training thunderstorms, its rare to get them in the winter, calling for 1-2" more tonight so reckon they gonna get bigger.

Yeah been a MASSIVE increase in rain the last couple years due to AGW. Gonna be a rainforest soon. I'm seeing a lot of heavy downpours lately that never happened before in winter.

I’ve seen it work in March but there just isn’t an inkling of cold to be found anywhere on this side of the northern hemisphere. We should be seeing at least some -20’s and -30’s up in to Canada by now.View attachment 61713
Yeah this was gonna be a problem with the first wave anyways, that’s why my expectations with it is quite low

I’ve seen it work in March but there just isn’t an inkling of cold to be found anywhere on this side of the northern hemisphere. We should be seeing at least some -20’s and -30’s up in to Canada by now.View attachment 61713
Have to sniff the warmth to taste the cold . Canada torches and we are seasonably cold = bad . Canada freezes and we torch = better chance as there is cold to get . Even January 1985 got warm and hit 75 before the record cold .

That giant block ain't gonna help us until we get the cross polar flow.

Like this one better, colder air in place, just need to get things in the right place View attachment 61716

Mid level temps look fine, but of course, we're missing the low level cold air source. We would need to see a trend towards heavier precip to maybe get an adiabatic cooling process going. Looks interesting though....2 consecutives systems where the closed ULL is this far south.

Back