• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

Oh snap- check that northern stream piece diving down over the Dakotas. Gonna phase with the southern stream cutoff and go neutral over Alabama. Cold air in place, SE Canada low, no WAR in sight at 850. Too bad this is 300 hours out.
View attachment 59414

Consistency is key right ???C3CED941-5C62-493C-880D-71DF11B06931.gif

Seems like every time we get -EPO blocks tho we risk the Southeast ridge, we seem to lose everytime with the -EPO all or nothing pattern, I know a +EPO/+WPO/-AO/-NAO pattern sucks for cold with storms but at least the southeast ridge is suppressed with those indices like that View attachment 59245View attachment 59246

If I had to pick one class of blocking, the most reliable blocking for the SE US, especially deep SE, is the W Canada block (+PNA). It is reflective in cold and snow multidecadal stats in Atlanta. If you then add the Greenland block, that's often an excellent combo that's hard to beat.

Close but not quite. That was a great look IMO for a big storm. Who cares about details, it's just fantasy-land entertainment. We all know what's really gonna happen.

Surface temps are a struggle with this depiction though. Why can't we get snowstorms in the 20s anymore? Last one I remember was Feb 2014.

I really think we need better western ridging for better cold air delivery this far south. If we can manage a solid +PNA with the Atlantic block at the same time (as Larry likes to say) I think we set ourselves up for success. The Atlantic block more or less looks like to want to hang around. When we vacillate to Alaska thawing, that's the sign to look closely IMO.

I.e. almost the entire 12z EPS is showing a major sudden stratospheric warming event. This can certainly help us keep the -AO/-NAO gravy train going thru January and February.

280b3e4326f17a2d8565d5ab61ae1a00.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back