• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

Wouldn't that beat down any chance at ridging on the west coast? @Webberweather53
I think mountain torque events result in increased meridional flow, so there would be more extreme troughs/ridging. A +EAMT event in particular I believe would promote a +PNA, but I'm not going to try to explain since I'm sure Webb could do it better than I could ever hope to.

Didn’t a similar thing happen late December 2017 ? @Webberweather53
This year there definitely way more pronounced troughing around the Bering sea/Aleutians popping up, which arguably could put more strain and anger the PV even more
This year there’s also significant blocking in the mix, so in some ways it’s quite different than that year BDBCE3CF-B62B-47AC-9A75-7CAD662D7804.gif320A6CA6-AB40-4CFA-8491-11EE6F28A1DB.png

Didn’t a similar thing happen late December 2017 ? @Webberweather53
This year there definitely way more pronounced troughing around the Bering sea/Aleutians popping up, which arguably could put more strain and anger the PV even more
This year there’s also significant blocking in the mix, so in some ways it’s quite different than that year View attachment 59168View attachment 59170

Yeah this is very different imo, suggests much better pattern potentially in the latter stages of winter unlike 2017-18 which went warm after early Feb until march

The complaining in here and other non-whamby threads, is overdone imo considering we’ve had the coldest start to winter in years. Also, the amount of complaining in these non-whamby threads is ironic considering the criticism that @ryan1234 was receiving recently for just trying to be realistic about the chances for snow in NC around Christmas. Double standard. All he was doing was trying to be realistic to minimize the chance of the later complaining.
Absolutely, the start to winter has been great! If people don’t like this they probably need to move north to satisfy their winter desires. We are now heading into our prime time to score a snow storm.

Back