• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

I got a feeling we are definitely going to score a couple storms within the next month. But they’ll probably sneak up in the day 5-7 range. We see massive changes on the models 2-4 days out so I doubt we will see something showing up beyond 7 days. Think if you live north of I20 you have a decent chance of seeing something. This is also peak climo as well.

He's not really wrong. But most figured it would go to Europe. I'm just hoping there is enough cold over here left so we can benefit from the - NAO.

Stratospheric polar vortex location doesn't mean what you think it does in this setting esp when we have a displacement SSW that implies very tilted & baroclinic vortices

This is a sick plot from Zac Lawrence, shows the percentile of SSW that have -Uwind at each level in the stratosphere. Looks like half of major SSWs have -U getting down to ~25mb with most persisting on average 6-7 days at 10 hPa. That one event that got all the way down to the sfc looks like January 1977.

1609348065459.png

Stratospheric polar vortex location doesn't mean what you think it does in this setting esp when we have a displacement SSW that implies very tilted & baroclinic vortices
In this particular case I wouldn't think you'd want it over here with the upcoming pattern unless you want extreme cold and suppression. I want a 30° big dog snowstorm. Lol

Back