• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

Looks like the GEFS is going to kick the EPS butt in the MJO forecast. Moved to higher amp ph7 and collapse into COD. Looking at the EPS chi200 from the 0z run it looks like it wants to start something back up in ph6-7...albeit weakly. I saw Mike V's tweet that SnowNiner posted in the Whamby thread about the MJO collapse, which GEFS/EPS agree on. What the EPS is showing below looks pretty good to me, better than a high amp drag race around 8-1-2 back to our beloved warm phases.

Edit: I am definitely a noob when it comes to the MJO...hopefully Webber/GaWx/Jon pipe in if they disagree.

ECMF_phase_51m_full.gif

eps_chi200_anomaly_hov_equatorial_2020011400_MEAN.png

Hmm, If I'm being honest the ensemble means are still not very impressive to me. Way too many blank members. If I had to guess, the closer we get to the time the TPV drifts back to our side of the globe the end of the month, the higher the mean snow numbers will go up. Probably next week.

Something like that is definitely headed for glory. With the energy coming down in the right place as shown, it would have the potential to phase perfectly and produce a major storm.
Yeah. Both pieces were already starting to interact over north central TX..still looked a little squished but this is what needs to happen to take the late bloomer solution off the table 730C4092-1172-4B3D-8742-F2E79192ED1B.gif

This setup reminds me of January 2011. Arctic high comes down from Canada, sets up over the Ohio Valley which provides the cold air source. This also creates a boundary in the northern gulf which pops a weak low pressure.

Ofc, this high was only a 1030-1032 high.

image006.gif

image007.gif

This setup reminds me of January 2011. Arctic high comes down from Canada, sets up over the Ohio Valley which provides the cold air source. This also creates a boundary in the northern gulf which pops a weak low pressure.

image006.gif

image007.gif
I’d be all in for a repeat of that one. Like you said though that was a weak wave, which is ideal for those in the deeper parts of the south, and I haven’t seen a weak wave come through here in 3 months. They’re all juiced up

image006.gif

image007.gif
I wonder does anybody have the snow maps from that storm

I wonder does anybody have the snow maps from that storm

There are snow amounts for invidivual states(widespread amounts of 4-10 inches occured in Northern GA).

Here's a satellite view of the areas that had snowcover on January 11th, 2011.

image059.jpg

I'm not saying this storm will be exactly like that one...it just reminds me of this storm.

Back