• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

Easy to see why the EPS looks so much better than the GEFS. North pacific ridge finally backs away to the International Dateline and is suppressed, whereas its amplified & over the Aleutians on the GEFS.

North Pacific blocking is great so long as either we have a very mature, poleward -EPO w/ ridging breaking into the Pacific-Arctic or if this ridge is confined to the Western North Pacific (near or west of the dateline), anything in between usually invites disaster (-PNA)

View attachment 29822

View attachment 29823
I’m guessing those extremely low heights trapped north of Russia and not spilling into the east coast are a necessary evil if we want to see this +PNA develop? Or would this all be a result of the MJO progressing into the Western Pacific?

Here's a great example of how you can have 2 identical RMM MJO forecasts, yet still have significantly different -VP200 configurations. This is largely because RMM doesn't handle the MJO quite as effectively in the Western Hemisphere & it doesn't explain but a fraction (~33%) of the total variability, and is comprised of several variables, of which differences in one or a few of them are effectively masked out. RMM also doesn't explicitly include VP200 and doesn't capture western hemisphere MJO events quite as well.

diagram_40days_forecast_GEFS_member.gif

CANM_phase_20m_small.gif

gfs-ens_chi200Mean_global_10.png

gem-ens_chi200Mean_global_10.png

I’m guessing those extremely low heights trapped north of Russia and not spilling into the east coast are a necessary evil if we want to see this +PNA develop? Or would this all be a result of the MJO progressing into the Western Pacific?

The Kamchatka Peninsula/NE Russia/Okhtosk trough is a function of both the MJO moving into the Western Pacific (which releases latent heating into the mid-latitude jet and results in a poleward shift of the subtropical high) and "intrinsic, internal" variability in the storm track. As the old saying goes, there is more than one way to skin a cat, you don't always need a huge Aleutian low to generate +PNA, having a vortex over NE Russia (+WPO) in the right place at the right time of the year w/ the proper initial state in the NP storm track is another way to create one. Obviously, the further you get from the west coast and SE US, the more dispersion matters, which tends to break down the teleconnectivity of these relationships.

After watching the EPS come in....Now I wish I had waited an hour to look at the EPS before I posted this.

View attachment 29820

I don't know man, I'm glad that if it's one long range ensemble suite that shows us potentially leaving a shutout pattern it's the EPS. But whether or not it actually comes to fruition and for how long are huge leaps of faith for me at this point. We all know that, so I guess I just say that to say when in doubt I go with persistence until the models scream otherwise. Here's hoping the long range EPS +PNA is the first step out of the dungeon.

I am a bit surprised at how long the wet pattern is lasting. If it ever manages to snow I would think western NC would be dealing with a massive river flooding pattern well into spring. No sustained cold but plenty of moisture would lead to rapid snowmelt combined with these heavy rain events. The current lack of snow may be a good thing for those living in flood prone areas.

I think what Webber has basically been saying to us (correct me if I’m wrong Webber) is that why are we trusting the untrustworthy models in the weather community we need to trust the one model that’s been consistently trustworthy in its forecasts which would be the euro and its ensemble members .. and if we trust the truth worthy model than we have a lot to be happy about for late January and into February

I’m more interested in the direction they’re headed and not as much in that all 3 teleconnections will hit >4 sigma over the next week

Attachments

• 123DC43F-15D8-436E-80D5-AC843559058C.jpeg
    123DC43F-15D8-436E-80D5-AC843559058C.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 8B42BB11-1D79-4310-A939-19580B9E80E2.jpeg
    8B42BB11-1D79-4310-A939-19580B9E80E2.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 1DAB0715-FF5A-4603-B9EC-E79E75F79DBE.jpeg
    1DAB0715-FF5A-4603-B9EC-E79E75F79DBE.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 31
And it still looks warm in the SE.
It takes a bit for the effects of such -NAO to transverse into the weather here in the south East ... if u keep looking at the model as it goes out you will what this type of pattern produces there was about three major back to back major winter storms for the southeast after this -NAO

Back