Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!
Snippet from James spannnbm-conus-KBHM-daily_tmin_tmax-8387600.pngNO SIGN OF ARCTIC AIR FOR ALABAMA FOR A FEW WEEKS: The pattern will continue to favor below average temperatures for the western and northern states, while the eastern U.S. will be fairly mild through mid-January. But remember, cold weather fans, winter is just getting started and the pattern will flip at some point814temp.new_-2-568x600.gif

Yeah, that’s not at all the look I want to see. But it does look like the Euro monthly is stalling before it goes into the outside COD 4/5. Does that mean another high amp 4/5 is not necessarily likely in Feb? Look at it again:

6618948F-6A8A-4682-81BF-B7B4D7E39626.gif

Yeah, that’s not at all the look I want to see. But it does look like the Euro monthly is stalling before it goes into the outside COD 4/5. Does that mean another high amp 4/5 is not necessarily likely in Feb? Look at it again:

View attachment 29890

The weaker amplitude signal at the end is mainly due to dispersion, there's definitely a predictability barrier w/ the MJO when it's initialized over the Maritime Continent but it wouldn't surprise me if it returned yet again in February.

The weaker amplitude signal at the end is mainly due to dispersion, there's definitely a predictability barrier w/ the MJO when it's initialized over the Maritime Continent but it wouldn't surprise me if it returned yet again in February.

If I recall correctly from you, when forecasting from Maritime the Euro tends to be too progressive and not amplified enough and the GEFS kind of the opposite. If I have that right, what are the implications as regards this latest forecast? Not pretty I assume.

If I recall correctly from you, when forecasting from Maritime the Euro tends to be too progressive and not amplified enough and the GEFS kind of the opposite. If I have that right, what are the implications as regards this latest forecast? Not pretty I assume.

The MJO exhibits the most unpredictability when its initialized near or over the Maritime Continent, the EPS is slightly biased towards the Maritime Continent and usually too weak in the West Pac while the opposite is often true for the GEFS. A compromise between the two seems more realistic and the abating +IOD and emergent modoki NINO + cold west Pac has a lot to do w/ the return of convection and the MJO to the Maritime Continent. I think this summary from the CPC does a pretty good job here detailing everything and I agree that the MJO may be overexaggerated due to this low frequency shift that's starting to transpire.

1578413376739.png

Reactions: VegasEagle and GaWx

View attachment 29890

I see it differently. I see a mean into Cape Canaveral with members from Miami to Cape Hatteras.

Reactions: Deleted member 418