• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

The latest Maxar forecast has January at KATL ending up at just over 7 warmer than normal, or near 50.5 F. That would make DJ 2019-20 the warmest since 1931-2 and 4th warmest on record back to 1878-9 behind 1889-90, 1879-80, and 1931-2. Of those other 3, 2 of them (1889-90 and 1931-2) had their coldest month in March, both of which were several degrees BN.

The latest Maxar forecast has January at KATL ending up at just over 7 warmer than normal, or near 50.5 F. That would make DJ 2019-20 the warmest since 1931-2 and 4th warmest on record back to 1878-9 behind 1889-90, 1879-80, and 1931-2. Of those other 3, 2 of them (1889-90 and 1931-2) had their coldest month in March, both of which were several degrees BN.

Are you sure about those warm records way back in 1879, 1899, and 1931? It couldn't have been that warm back then? Sorry Mods move it to banter if necessary:rolleyes:

Still on a Island with no support for IP/ZR/SN that far south, altho fwiw some gefs members show mountains getting some snow and even some other parts of the upper SE getting light snow around that time with the front View attachment 29796
Oh yeah I understand, I've been watching these members as well. This may not be anything, but I've seen Gefs ENS show no support with the OP and later on start catching on. That's why I'm still following this system

It would be nice if we could swing a big front through changing our current pattern, unfortunately it’s 10+ days away so we have to assume it’s just just dead wrong. But that doesn’t make it any less fun to look at

You just have to wonder how this ends. You fully expect the pendulum to swing and the indices to improve but when that might be is anyone’s guess. Seems inconceivable that it persists the entire month of January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely a few more active ensembles for the south east on the most recent run of the GEFS all around the 240 mark ..

Considering the only other consistent thing we’ve seen on the GFS as of late has been the SER, I’ll gladly take this strung out cold rain/ice/sleet mess that has shown up fairly consistently. Maybe it trends better but at least it’s there.

GFS is actually moving in a pretty good direction up top toward the end of the run. I think the window for a winter storm will be open from approximately 252 - 300 hours. The STJ has been active. And we're starting to get pretty good consensus around D10ish for a good enough pattern over the top (even if transitory) to deliver a pretty stout cold shot via strong high pressure into the central and eastern US. Don't get me wrong...it's not an ideal pattern. But any time you have a big sprawling high up north with a active STJ, you have to be on the alert for winter weather.

I don't think the high will end up being quite 1050 strong into ND. So, I'm looking for a less suppressive solution, but cold enough and active enough to bring some portions of the SE a decent shot at significant wintry weather. For the first time this winter, I am seeing a legitimate period of interest. We'll see if the key features continue to show up in future runs.

GFS is actually moving in a pretty good direction up top toward the end of the run. I think the window for a winter storm will be open from approximately 252 - 300 hours. The STJ has been active. And we're starting to get pretty good consensus around D10ish for a good enough pattern over the top (even if transitory) to deliver a pretty stout cold shot via strong high pressure into the central and eastern US. Don't get me wrong...it's not an ideal pattern. But any time you have a big sprawling high up north with a active STJ, you have to be on the alert for winter weather.

I don't think the high will end up being quite 1050 strong into ND. So, I'm looking for a less suppressive solution, but cold enough and active enough to bring some portions of the SE a decent shot at significant wintry weather. For the first time this winter, I am seeing a legitimate period of interest. We'll see if the key features continue to show up in future runs.

I agree, with the NPAC ridge where it's at, if it can wobble east over AK from time to time it will dump cold HP into the conus.

Makes me cringe looking at the evolution of the GEFS though...the pacific sure looks stable but with a building Scandinavian ridge. Reminiscent of Feb 2018 and 2019. Maybe this is our dominant winter pattern and we have to make the most of it.

GEFS2week.gifxHtgYrvB1T.png

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_10day-9694400.png

I agree, with the NPAC ridge where it's at, if it can wobble east over AK from time to time it will dump cold HP into the conus.

Makes me cringe looking at the evolution of the GEFS though...the pacific sure looks stable but with a building Scandinavian ridge. Reminiscent of Feb 2018 and 2019. Maybe this is our dominant winter pattern and we have to make the most of it.

View attachment 29807View attachment 29808

View attachment 29809

It translates well with the MJO. We're in the crap phases for the foreseeable future. Where at the end it starts to dive into the COD, where it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it comes back out in the maritime phases. I agree, I think this is the pattern for our winter, has been for the last few. No -EPO to save us this time though.

1578335960618.png

It translates well with the MJO. We're in the crap phases for the foreseeable future. Where at the end it starts to dive into the COD, where it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it comes back out in the maritime phases. I agree, I think this is the pattern for our winter, has been for the last few. No -EPO to save us this time though.

View attachment 29810

I'm starting to lean that way too....considering this matches up well with what we saw in most of 2018 and 2019. I'm not sure the MJO, even if it moves into 8-1-2, will be enough to shake us out of this. It wasn't enough in 2018 and 2019.

The CMC ens has been colder than the other two for several days. Unfortunately, it carries the strongest cold bias for the E US of the 3 major ensembles. So, this may be a function of bias.
Yes the Canadian cold bias is pretty evident, but they are worlds apart at 500mb. More than cold bias must be at play here wouldn’t you think?

View attachment 29812

View attachment 29813

The GEFS & CMC Ensemble are worlds apart. Curious what camp the EPS supports on the 12z suite.

The CMC ens has been colder than the other two for several days. Unfortunately, it carries the strongest cold bias for the E US of the 3 major ensembles. So, this may be a function of bias.

Even with its cold bais...nice changes from just 12 hrs ago...
5744a9e64d0597a28e7f1e8c89375a5a.png
1ab1f32f3669e3f93fc1c7b0ccfb98fe.png

Back