• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

I mean don’t get me wrong, it’s nice to finally see some high pressure dominating the CONUS out in the long range but I’m still pretty turned off by how progressive everything is and not to mention the giant east coast ridge that refuses to budge on the OP’s..Jan 20’th’ish is too early.. this will take at least the rest of January to get out of imo

I dont care what anyone says, I'm all in on this one. Gfs has been consistent with this. Plus this storm starts little over 200 hours
gfs_asnow_seus_53.png

Heights can be deceiving at times. The column can actually be warmer relative to normal higher up in the atmosphere with dense cold slipping underneath.

Look at the above average 500mb heights around Atlanta at 264 and see that the surface temp is 10+ c and the temp at 500 is around -10c, but you look at the above average heights at 500mb over South Texas under where frozen is showing up and the surface is around -1 to -2 c and the 500mb temp is around -9 to -10c.

As much as I want that to happen, there is no ensemble support from the gefs, snow mean looks very meh

Possible reason for this, the GFS snow maps there are showing freezing rain/sleet as snow. The GEFS map may only be showing snowfall. If you look at the soundings under all that snow they are all freezing rain/sleet soundings with surface temps in some of those locations in South Texas in the 20s with 850s well above freezing.

Possible reason for this, the GFS snow maps there are showing freezing rain/sleet as snow. The GEFS map may only be showing snowfall. If you look at the soundings under all that snow they are all freezing rain/sleet soundings with surface temps in some of those locations in South Texas in the 20s with 850s well above freezing.

The GEFS doesn’t even really support any type of wintry precip around the gulf coast like the GFS is showing around that time, almost all members show rain, ofc it could always change

I'm ready for baseball season.. :)

Edit: sign Donaldson already, somebody. Based on his career path, he deserves every frickin' penny.

Last edited:
Do we need another thread? We already have one for January. Don't turn this into the other weather forum. Don't need a thread every time it gets warm, cold a drizzle or wind blows. Used to be a thread was made for storms only besides general weather.

Back