• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

Clearly the Gfs is seeing a pattern changing event ... something I would expect to happen when the tables turn from such a stuck pattern like this
The GFS has a low going though the ridge up in the Pacific, which slides it into the Aleutians, which then allows for a split flow near CA as the low pushes east, and by the end of the likely wrong run, there's a ridge going up in the west and a low in the Aleutians. Given the Euro shows something similar to that, we might have a good pattern shift coming late month.

Heres our winter storm again from the happy drunkard
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_43.png
This is nearing the 240 hour range ... not too shabby .. definitely would rather see it here than at 384

Looks like some kinda of system will happen around that“pattern change” time period 18th- 25th. I see that anafront around the 16th that brings the cold and hopeful that low in Mexico’s goes on the GOM around the 21st. Again it’s a long way out and will change but we can still wish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like some kinda of system will happen around that“pattern change” time period 18th- 25th. I see that anafront around the 16th that brings the cold and hopeful that low in Mexico’s goes on the GOM around the 21st. Again it’s a long way out and will change but we can still wish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can remember winter storms of yonder year where cold followed a storm but didn’t precede it. I would have to think those were the types of storms that occurred going into a good pattern and not leaving one ☝..going in or coming out, is the point I’m trying to make I guess. That’s usually how we end up scoring big around here.

I can remember winter storms of yonder year where cold followed a storm but didn’t precede it. I would have to think those were the types of storms that occurred going into a good pattern and not leaving one ☝..going in or coming out, is the point I’m trying to make I guess. That’s usually how we end up scoring big around here.
It isn’t uncommon to get some sort of big storm around the time of a pattern change, so there may be some hope with it.

There maybe some truth to the GFS. The GEFS no longer shows the SER pumping on the 17th. There could be a window of opportunity for a winter storm during the 17th-19th time window. A storm system may develop on the tail end of the front from the cutting system at the same time cold air would be in place.
905626576991a598f59dd082d0cd08aa.jpg

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

There maybe some truth to the GFS. The GEFS no longer shows the SER pumping on the 17th. There could be a window of opportunity for a winter storm during the 17th-19th time window. A storm system may develop on the tail end of the front from the cutting system at the same time cold air would be in place.

Yeah, cold HP gets dumped in conus day 10-12. #-EPO

9ABA3108-81F4-453E-BAC1-4A4FA2E9420F.pngDD05B27D-8355-435E-90A0-3C0F4785EA93.png

I enjoy reading your posts man..... let’s reel in a better pattern...... we can’t stay in a warm pattern all winter

I enjoy reading your posts man..... let’s reel in a better pattern...... we can’t stay in a warm pattern all winter
Exactly I refuse to believe the crazy talk about winter being over .. there are such things as back loaded winter and this could very well be the case .. we all know there’s equal and opposite reactions and we had a big warm unfavorable period that will eventually be countered by a (speculatory) big cold and favorable pattern with equal must and might ... I think we’re finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and we need to be happy to see that

Exactly I refuse to believe the crazy talk about winter being over .. there are such things as back loaded winter and this could very well be the case .. we all know there’s equal and opposite reactions and we had a big warm unfavorable period that will eventually be countered by a (speculatory) big cold and favorable pattern with equal must and might ... I think we’re finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and we need to be happy to see that
I’m very skeptical because the GFS has no support with this setup. Plus it’s the GFS (FV3)

We're gonna have to see first if whether that's a false start on a pattern change or not before anything else is discussed there. That could well be a false start on the pattern changing for colder weather a couple weeks early, in March.

Although I guess its nice that there have been a couple fantasy storms in the recent days in about that time period.

Last edited:
We know where this is headed, gives me memories to last year where the ridge would never seem to leave, that trough that would cause the “weakness” in the ridge has slowed and allowed a more consolidated ridge these past runs, this is why you can’t pay attention to snow on the GFS last a certain amount of hours 1A96B9D6-10CD-4C50-BACA-0CB0C4761A50.gif0EA32D98-C520-40F3-826D-1A3B6DD480C6.gif

I still think the ridge will get beat back a bit with colder air around hour 250+, (some ensemble support) but a winter storm like the gfs showed and is probably about to show is unlikely

Back