• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

10-12 days suggest bonified Blue Norther' for Texas. I got hit by one in the 90's. It was 72 when I left my motel for our meeting. 38 when I walked back....

00Z-20200106_GFSUS_prec_ptype-228-255-10-100.gif

4th run in a row
gfs_asnow_seus_47.png

Low/mid 80’s in south beach, below freezing in the NW panhandle..hell of a front being depicted D364C3A0-EE95-4FA3-AD95-59DB2991674A.png

Question for anybody (Webber??); so the PNA, NAO, and AO look horrible for the next couple of weeks. I remember a few years back where they were not good but the EPO was negative. The models constantly showed a warm solution only to go colder as we moved forwards in time. As far as we knew at the time the models did not calculate the EPO effects correctly. Is that still an issue (or was this ever an issue)?

It looks like the EPO will go negative in the short term:
ftp://ftp.cdc.noaa.gov/Public/gbates/reforecast2/teleconn/4indices.png

Still on a Island with no support for IP/ZR/SN that far south, altho fwiw some gefs members show mountains getting some snow and even some other parts of the upper SE getting light snow around that time with the front View attachment 29796
Yeah I’m not even sure what that model is doing is even feasible. Looks really sketchy just scrolling through precip maps

Will be interesting to see how this unfolds. WIth the GEFS/EPS divergent MJO forecast the pattern in the extended starts to diverge. Not sure who we should be rooting for either. EPS clearly weakens the GOA ridge but GEFS keeps it going.

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_5day-9564800.pngecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_5day-9564800.png

gfs-ens_chi200Mean_global_9.pngeps_chi200_anomaly_globe_2020010600_MEAN_360.png

Low/mid 80’s in south beach, below freezing in the NW panhandle..hell of a front being depicted View attachment 29797
Certainly looks like a massive cold front. The GFS has showed it for several runs in a row now (which certainly doesn't mean much). Would be wild if we had this thing sweep through and it shift the pattern.

Certainly looks like a massive cold front. The GFS has showed it for several runs in a row now (which certainly doesn't mean much). Would be wild if we had this thing sweep through and it shift the pattern.
It would be nice if we could swing a big front through changing our current pattern, unfortunately it’s 10+ days away so we have to assume it’s just just dead wrong. But that doesn’t make it any less fun to look at

Back