• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

I have looked back through our records and we have many events in February after having mild Decembers and Januarys. Many have started around Jan 26th thru Feb 26th. A few events in March. March 1st 2009 was a good event during a warm pattern for triad area. I am sure we will get something as we generally always do even in a warm pattern.

The GEFS has maintained its MJO 4/5 peak prediction at ~3 while the EPS has increased theirs from 2.5 yesterday to nearly 3 today. A peak of 3.0 would make it the 4th highest amp of 4/5 in winter on record (back to 1975). The 2 models are predicting a duration in 4/5 of 10-12 days ending ~1/17. Combine this MJO with a strong -PNA/+AO, a mainly +NAO, and a modest -AAM that is restarting today as well as a mainly +EPO and you have all of the makings for a strong torch to dominate the next 2 weeks. I expect to see several days in the SE with anomalies of +15+ within a period having most days AN. The entire 10-12 days will probably average close to 10+ AN, close to norms in mid March!

GEFS:
View attachment 29567

EPS:
View attachment 29568

Looks like we need to pull for the EPS. GEFS has that loop look to it. EPS looks like it wants to swing around 7,8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm history tells me, with many areas socked it and temps in the mid - upper 40's currently, that it doesn't make it as far as projected. Just an old timer's guess
Certainly losing any wedge here S wind and 54/54

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I have looked back through our records and we have many events in February after having mild Decembers and Januarys. Many have started around Jan 26th thru Feb 26th. A few events in March. March 1st 2009 was a good event during a warm pattern for triad area. I am sure we will get something as we generally always do even in a warm pattern.
You are correct. For example there is a reason why that in over 130 years of official records, CLT has never gone snowless for an entire winter, and there’s only around 6 or 7 that saw less than 1 inch.

I'm sort of surprised this isn't getting more attention from the Tn/Al/NGa crowd. Steep lapse rates, strong upper level energy, dgz around h8/85, moisture in the dgz. Surface temps are kind of meh 35-42 but you should be able to build some nice convective clouds and scattered rain/snow showers and chances are they would be more snow than rain given the warm layer is so shallow

Sure, you're not wrong. I am paying attention, but as the chances of accumulation are so low I'll wait until tomorrow to get more excited .

This pattern is atrocious with no signs of the cold going anywhere but the west on the 12Z GFS.
gfs_T850a_seus_7.png

When you say "with no signs of cold air" 36 hours out is my sign of cold air

Now don't get me wrong there are some subtle signs @384 on the GEFS but it would still have a ways to go

View attachment 29584

Nothing like a building -NAO on the GEFS. EPS somewhat agrees. Be nice to have for end of Jan into Feb, after the pacific is working for us too. This starts day 10-12 too.

For the naysayers (we know who you are)....yes, we've been head faked by GEFS before.
gfs-ensemble-all-avg-nhemi-z500_anom-9111200.png

Now don't get me wrong there are some subtle signs @384 on the GEFS but it would still have a ways to go

View attachment 29584
Looks better than the op but still not great, at least its got the scandy ridge. Maybe a few lucky wave breaks in the Atlantic could help us get more into a -nao. Sucks to see a pattern that close to being decent but instead we sit in +++++++anomalies

Nothing like a building -NAO on the GEFS. EPS somewhat agrees. Be nice to have for end of Jan into Feb, after the pacific is working for us too. This starts day 10-12 too.

For the naysayers (we know who you are)....yes, we've been head faked by GEFS before.
View attachment 29585

It would be nice to have a trough right where that Aleutian ridge is on that map and get a +PNA back.

Gefs tries to completely get rid of the SE ridge then it says nvm
75eeae48a74ab528751dee612d125536.gif

It would be nice to have a trough right where that Aleutian ridge is on that map and get a +PNA back.

Bummer that won't happen until end of the month...but if the Scandinavian ridge can establish into some atlantic blocking then maybe our patience will be worth it. Coincide.

Gefs tries to completely get rid of the SE ridge then it says nvm
75eeae48a74ab528751dee612d125536.gif

One of the most stable patterns in history setting up. Right in the heart of winter.

2006 was a prime example of how a Scandinavian ridge built into a sustained -NAO. To bad it was in a nina but still.

blocking.gifcompday.VBikktGFXi.gif

Back