• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

One of the most stable patterns in history setting up. Right in the heart of winter.

When practically all of the indices are forecasted to be in their warm mode for for the SE for a pretty long period of time (and in some cases very strong), this is not a surprise.

gfs_T850a_seus_7.png

When you say "with no signs of cold air" 36 hours out is my sign of cold air

Indeed. even in an AN dominated mid winter, it still has lots of pleasant evenings for walking opportunities. This includes the last 2 evenings as well as 6 days starting tomorrow evening, which includes a downright cold walk on Wednesday, before the dominating warmer comes in starting a week from today. Then, expect mild to dominate the subsequent 10 days, which takes us to 1/20. By then, it is too far out for even semi-reliable model guidance. However, Euro weeklies are suggesting a cool-down to close to normal winter temps for ~1/20-2/15. At least one can hope, right? Consistent with this, the MJO should be out of the high amplitude warm phases of 4 and 5 by then.

Regardless of the wx, I enjoy this time of year so much in contrast to the warm and muggy season! Enjoy it while it is here as the winter will be over before you know it!

Last edited:
Gotta think we are going to see some january records fall between the 10th and 16th. I think the 79 at rdu is in big trouble

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
We already blew through the October record high in October 2019 (topping out at 100), so why not set another monthly record a few months later?

Gotta think we are going to see some january records fall between the 10th and 16th. I think the 79 at rdu is in big trouble

Parts of GA/FL have already hit records today:

- KJAX has today hit at least 85, which ties it with 1/30/2013 for the warmest in Jan and is tied for the warmest for the period 11/25-2/2 with record going back all the way to 1871!!
- KMCN has obliterated their record high for today with 81+ vs the old record going back to 1892 of only 76!
- KSAV has broken a daily record with a high of at least 80, breaking the old record of 79. To compare, last year they had record highs of 79 on both 1/1 and 1/2.
- KAGS has at least tied their record high of 80 for today.
- KGNV has hit at least 83, which is only 1 F from the daily record of 84.

Wow!

Back