• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

We’ve got low -60’s showing up in Greenland. This is an anonymously cold and tightly wound vortex that isn’t going anywhere for a long time. At this point it wouldn’t surprise me if the majority of North America ends up AN for the month of January. I think we just might need to accept it and look forward to February when this thing has more of a chance to weaken. The areas in and around the arctic were overdue for a brutal winter and they’re getting it.
40CBF28E-885F-49F7-AA33-EB6D2FE9AE41.jpeg

Indeed, the 12Z GFS has a colder than normal day 1/3 in the SE US into 1/4 AM. But is it believable? Freeze down to Macon and Columbia if this verifies 1/4.
Yeah idk cmc kinda straddles the fence euro releases the closes low in the west. Could go either way really

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yeah idk cmc kinda straddles the fence euro releases the closes low in the west. Could go either way really

Well 12z Canadian looks like the 0z euro with a big warm up ahead of the next front.

Gefs are very meh for the first half of January

I believe the pattern continues to support snow west of the blue ridge (Louisiana-Tennessee) but less to none in the Carolinas. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a winter storm pop up in the extended for places like Mississippi/Alabama.
GFS finally supports my thinking. Recognize the pattern first. Too far out to know the details of when but I think January will feature a winter storm west of the blue ridge. B37364A3-2F69-4DDB-B9AD-E2C2062B8B1B.jpeg

Deeper into winter climo we get, the easier cold air will win the race esp for the areas who already saw 1-3” so far this winter in the Deep South. Favored position on the back side with a juicy southern stream, Mississippi/Alabama could see a sig. snowfall (3-6”+).

GFS finally supports my thinking. Recognize the pattern first. Too far out to know the details of when but I think January will feature a winter storm west of the blue ridge. View attachment 28934
That would be a big dog look for Birmingham to Chattanooga to Knoxville. Too bad it’s in fantasy land. I still think that cold air in Alaska eventually comes crashing into the Eastern US in January and Opens up potential for most on here.

What a wild GEFS run
GEFSSE_prec_snens_252.png

GEFSSE_prec_snens_384.png

That would be a big dog look for Birmingham to Chattanooga to Knoxville. Too bad it’s in fantasy land. I still think that cold air in Alaska eventually comes crashing into the Eastern US in January and Opens up potential for most on here.
For you guys, I wouldn’t won’t to change the pattern to overwhelming cold that would get the Carolinas in play. You would be shooting yourself in the foot while east of the Appalachian divide becomes overwhelmingly favored. Keep the same pattern going and west of the blue ridge is going to get smoked by one or two. See members 3, 12 and 14 above.

I like the GEFS in terms of most likely being right in this pattern. To the east into North Carolina needs to watch for CAD mix or cold rain. Both sides of the divide are not likely to be snowy together. I would be excited if I was in Tennessee back to the south-west. If your in Charlotte to Raleigh, all is not lost if the pattern changes in time for Feb/Mar that’s plenty of time to score.

If you get a steep trough to slow down and go negative tilt, than overrunning precip into colder air with a developing SFC low is somewhat possible, gefs hinting at that, gfs hinting at that, (with that trough in the 200hr range with the +PNA) much better chance that would work out for the western SE if a setup like that was to happen

Some of the analogs I’m looking at had the first statewide snow for NC on the very last week of February with 3-10”. While areas to the west scored sooner but their winter ended earlier too. Really need CAD to save us for some MIX bagged events in the mean time is all I’m watching for in January.

Euro nukes the PV and begins building ridging across the pole with the lobe over AK trending westward and ridging beginning to build over Greenland. Interesting to see what comes of that.
Yeah a strong 50/50 “wavebreak” helps the ridge to flex, creating a strong west based -NAO, altho I would really don’t know if thats exact with lower heights around central/northern Greenland

Last edited:
Yeah a strong 50/50 “wavebreak” helps the ridge to flex, creating a strong west based -NAO, altho I would really know if thats exact with lower heights around central/northern Greenland

Personally, the NAO can do whatever. I really like seeing ridging build toward the pole from Asia. If we can get the low over AK to continue to build westward and flex the eastern Pacific ridge, a bridge across the pole would put us in the freezer.

Personally, the NAO can do whatever. I really like seeing ridging build toward the pole from Asia. If we can get the low over AK to continue to build westward and flex the eastern Pacific ridge, a bridge across the pole would put us in the freezer.
precisely

Euro nukes the PV and begins building ridging across the pole with the lobe over AK trending westward and ridging beginning to build over Greenland. Interesting to see what comes of that.

Looks like the 12z EPS is headed in that direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back