• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

I’d say GW has to be considered as the main rigging factor. And as Webb said, talking about GW in the monthly threads is appropriate in this way.

I would like to read more about North Pole moving towards Russia. I think this movement away from USA is playing a role. I think it’s playing more of a role them GW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d say GW has to be considered as the main rigging factor. And as Webb said, talking about GW in the monthly threads is appropriate in this way.
GW is the easy low-hanging fruit to pick here. While I expect it has some role to play, it is hard to believe it is the be all end all. Not saying you are saying that. Just commenting, more or less.

The weather slots seem to come up all 7s with increasing frequency nowadays. There is definitely some rigging going on.
It’s all subjective. Look at the west coast..dream pattern setting up. It has undoubtedly been a bad several years for the east coast. I can almost guarantee that will turn around at some point in the next decade..I think

It’s all subjective. Look at the west coast..dream pattern setting up. It has undoubtedly been a bad several years for the east coast. I can almost guarantee that will turn around at some point in the next decade..I think

Law of averages . Mother Nature evens out over time. I remember when the west coast was warm and dry every winter.

GW is the easy low-hanging fruit to pick here. While I expect it has some role to play, it is hard to believe it is the be all end all. Not saying you are saying that. Just commenting, more or less.

Based on the link to that paper that @BHS1975 first showed in the GW thread, GW is quite possibly having a doubly warm effect on much of the E US thanks to the waters centered around the Maritime Continent warming more than other waters. The extra warming centered on the Maritime Continent is hypothesized by that paper to be increasing the number of days spent in MJO warm phases 4 and 5. My own counting of the % of days in 4/5 the last 10 winters confirmed this increase.

Based on this, the key for the future may be to see if/when those waters will not be as warm vs other waters. Maybe then the SER ridge would not be as strong in the means.

This is just ugly! The GEPS, GEFS, and EPS all agree to some extent on days 10-14. They offer very little hope of things turning around anytime soon.
27ce93afe4fefcf7d34612652be7a169.png
5fef00e6fac9f18d211f828cdcf912e3.png
b37db7f193b462987155edfbfbd4e43d.png

However...The EPS MJO at the end does appear to be trying to go back into COD. Where it goes from there is anyone’s guess.
b4c4e6720700919e309b87d1eff160e0.gif

That MJO run of the EPS says to me it may stall/loop in 5. If that happens come mid January I will be ready to throw in the towel and occupy my time with something else.

This goes back to my post yesterday about the MJO 4/5 analogs...the ones that turned colder in Feb had a much weaker January pac ridge than the ones that stayed warm. That really isn’t surprising as we need that pac ridge to weaken 2nd half of Jan. But, if MJO stalls/loops in 5 than that would follow the warm Feb analogs which is top pic below.

26E113B0-DC7E-4C1A-B748-1D2E0F9E9834.png1A14F86C-6DE9-46AA-8D3F-38E5CCCA7CD6.png

The more time spent in warm E US favoring MJO 4 and 5, which has been hypothesized to be due to more warming of waters in and near Indonesia, means better chance of cold W US. It all kind of goes together. What favors more SER also favors more troughing to the west.

That MJO run of the EPS says to me it may stall/loop in 5. If that happens come mid January I will be ready to throw in the towel and occupy my time with something else.

This goes back to my post yesterday about the MJO 4/5 analogs...the ones that turned colder in Feb had a much weaker January pac ridge than the ones that stayed warm. That really isn’t surprising as we need that pac ridge to weaken 2nd half of Jan. But, if MJO stalls/loops in 5 than that would follow the warm Feb analogs which is top pic below.

View attachment 29430View attachment 29431

Yeah. I would agree with this possibility. I really don’t see it turning around this winter but it is only January 1st and the models don’t show us what will happen beyond the middle of January. The towel is in my hand as well.

Yeah. I would agree with this possibility. I really don’t see it turning around this winter but it is only January 1st and the models don’t show us what will happen beyond the middle of January. The towel is in my hand as well.

Agreed...by the last 7-10 days of January, we are going to have an idea of how Feb is going to look...IMO.

I should note that I do think we see a window in Feb. I do think this does turn around some.

Euro has the MJO spiking well into phase 5. Now, it tried to do that with phase 6 earlier, and it didn't end up quite so bad. I guess the good news is, it isn't spiking into phase 3 and taking the long way around the horn. Maybe it will get into phase 7 before too, too long. Who knows.

Edit: Spikes into phase 4 then 5. Wow. Just horrific.

Yep. Two tropical systems forming north of Australia this week
92d9a2796c21c5ffbc14ae39910202b2.jpg

There’s no way the MJO is being predicted wrong because of this. That would put us in 5 for Week 2 soley based off precip composites. I would be surprised to see further spiking.
9bcd383928e670de1d3fbfc56df84805.gif

Thankfully the MJO moves fairly quickly when at high amplitude. Hopefully we will be in Phase 7 to start Feb

Composite
6d6e0bfc04e3a703151caffd6849bc08.gif

CFS Forecast
60a17f94da09ebfbae12a931a59689d9.gif

Phase 7 January 30
Phase 8 Feb 04

We should probably get back on topic and help track this mini anafrontal flizzard so the snow weenies don’t start to panic. 06z GFS..better get the brine ready 87A9ACA9-4E4D-47D8-9EE5-7269B4EBEE9F.png

Yep. Two tropical systems forming north of Australia this week
92d9a2796c21c5ffbc14ae39910202b2.jpg

There’s no way the MJO is being predicted wrong because of this. That would put us in 5 for Week 2 soley based off precip composites. I would be surprised to see further spiking.
9bcd383928e670de1d3fbfc56df84805.gif

Thankfully the MJO moves fairly quickly when at high amplitude. Hopefully we will be in Phase 7 to start Feb

Composite
6d6e0bfc04e3a703151caffd6849bc08.gif

CFS Forecast
60a17f94da09ebfbae12a931a59689d9.gif

Phase 7 January 30
Phase 8 Feb 04

Makes you wonder would it even matter at that point. It made no difference last Feb...we spent all of Feb ph 7-1 and this was the pattern. And last year we didn't have this epic strong strat PV.

201901.phase.90days.gif.small.gifcompday.pIGCs6COws.gif

Makes you wonder would it even matter at that point. It made no difference last Feb...we spent all of Feb ph 7-1 and this was the pattern. And last year we didn't have this epic strong strat PV.

View attachment 29435View attachment 29434

Yeah, last year was ideal conditions and it still failed. There’s always other drivers that overwhelm the other. Maybe we’ll experience a warming event but time is clearly running out. I’m one for just trying to get out of anything negative holding us back, it’s like the snowball method for weather...get rid of the MJO holding us back so we can figure out the PV. Until we get into phase 8-1-2 it doesn’t matter what the PV does. But at least Australia gets some rain.

The warming around the maritime is maddening. What about the jacked up Pac ridge which will always lead to a trof in the west. Is it SST related? Or is the SST a reflection of it? If it's warm SST'S due to GW and it cause ridges, that's the largest body of water on the planet and we're unfortunate enough to be downstream of it. May be a long road ahead.

I agree the east is bearing the brunt of GW. The world is only what +1°C? That's like 2°F, yet we're constantly +3-5°F every month every single year!

The RMM MJO index is basically blending 2 Kelvin Waves in the eastern hemisphere, this is definitely not a classic MJO event or RMM phase 4-5 projection because we don't have a single, coherent MJO wave, but the end result will be the same at least in the next 1.5-2 weeks. The long-term implications of not having a classic MJO pulse means that this tropical forcing signal will propagate more quickly thru the Maritime Continent and into the Western Pacific. I still like the idea of this pattern potentially turning around during the last week of January (Jan 25-30).

vp200.GFS.anom.KELVIN.5S-5N (1).png

Back