• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

Euro pops a +PNA and fires some deep cold our way.
ecmwf_T850a_namer_11.png

Be careful what you say as you may curse it and cause the wx gods to give us a torch as punishment.
All the negative talking the past end of year has cursed us into being in this mess in the first place let’s hope we’re just correcting now ??

We've been progressively losing the -PNA that was initially forecast this week on the EPS, however the -PNA during Jan 10-15 is stronger the last few cycles and the ridge placement in the NP is very reminiscent of Feb 2019.

In the meantime, we'll have a window of opportunity to score late in the first week of January & in the early part of the 2nd week.

download (1).png

Before you see the light at the end of the tunnel, you have to actually be in the tunnel. The tunnel isn't even on the radar yet, according to the maps below. Going to be game over for most of January, if this comes to pass.

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_41.png

And it only gets worse from here.

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_65.png

Welcome back to our typical winter pattern. Maybe somebody can pick me up, but I'm not seeing much of a reason to expect much for most of the month now. Originally, I thought we'd start to shift better after week 2, but it looks like that estimate may be way too soon.

Before you see the light at the end of the tunnel, you have to actually be in the tunnel. The tunnel isn't even on the radar yet, according to the maps below. Going to be game over for most of January, if this comes to pass.

View attachment 29228

View attachment 29229

Welcome back to our typical winter pattern. Maybe somebody can pick me up, but I'm not seeing much of a reason to expect much for most of the month now. Originally, I thought we'd start to shift better after week 2, but it looks like that estimate may be way too soon.

It always consoles me to see that it is 10-15 day outlook on GFS? Considering the lack of consistency on it and all the models post 7 days, I think I would wait a few days to get too upset.

View attachment 29228

View attachment 29229

Checked the MJO and looks to still be in 5 by mid month. Some have it going in the circle and others have in low amp into 6. We might have a cold snap but that will bring temps back to normal just for a few days. I don’t see anything for January. If the MJO can keep progressing towards 7,8 then February has a chance. I just hope it does just keep looping in 4,5 and 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 29228

View attachment 29229

It's the GEFS so maybe it's wrong? But while the eps is slightly better @240, after that it goes in the tank through the end of the run, warning it's not pretty

1577712617784.png

1577712720838.png

View attachment 29228

View attachment 29229

Agreed. Transient cold shots sure , a winter pattern we are looking for ? No. However , that does not mean we can’t luck up and score . I thought we would be rolling into a better pattern by mid month . Not looking too good at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back