• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 14-16th storm potential.

Rooting for the euro solution. It is single digits as the last flakes fall here. Pretty wild. We don't need a massive amount of qpf. Just a couple tenths. Gfs heading that way. Let's keep it up! I'm tired of the 33-35 with light snow that doesn't stick until the last flakes. I've had 6 events of that this winter.

IMG_1135.gif

Think the biggest problem with this setup is the initial Cutter not escaping east to Atlantic Canada but rather towards Hudson Bay, if this was to exit or at least a big piece of it was able to exit towards Atlantic Canada, you could slow down the pattern even more and amplify the upstream pattern, along with confluence, and a better cold feed. But instead we get a messier, frontal look, because the progression of the cutter isn’t favorable. It could work out west of the mountains, but east we would need a trailing northern steam wave that digs favorably after the Arctic front moves through View attachment 141091
I have what I’m sure is a stupid question but I keep hearing west of the mountains and east of the mountains. I’m in Atlanta. Where do we fall? I feel like it always snows west or east of us.

If you are in NW Atlanta, your chances of snow go up. South of metro, not so good chances usually. It really depends on the setup as it always does.

In general we get fewer chances of snow in northern-ish Georgia. With ongoing climate change and increased temps (our growing zone was recently changed to a warmer band), it becomes even harder for snow.

I have what I’m sure is a stupid question but I keep hearing west of the mountains and east of the mountains. I’m in Atlanta. Where do we fall? I feel like it always snows west or east of us.
Neither really, the continental divide runs right down peachtree street. We can benefit from cold from either direction, our issue is we are the furthest from the source of both directions. If it’s a CAD fueled storm, we are the last in line. If it’s cold funneled from the northwest, we are also the last in line. The only benefit we have, specifically northwest burbs is the fact that we can get some northwest flow flurries or snowshowers with some elevation increase. The east side of the metro is 600-800’ while the northwest is 900-1200’, which makes a huge difference when your temps are always marginal.

Less push into Texas, a little flatter, but is trying mightily to expand eastward! Changes are not done on this one. At. All.
icon_z500_vort_us_39.png

icon_T2m_us_50.png

icon is a no go. we will see how the gfs goes but i have a bad feeling about this one. still going to be frigid tho

Well the Icon finally brought the cold air east after holding back every run.
It develops a gulf low, throws moisture back to the NW, but the cold is not far enough east to catch it...like Bob Uecker would say, "just a bit outside" as the pitch sails 30 feet behind the batter.

looking like a good 1-2 inch storm for all of us. Luckily we will have good rates in those cold temps
Given the cold during and after, even an inch of snow, and in all likelihood, ice, and sleet before, the impacts will be substantial and long-lasting.

Back