• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 30-Feb 2 2021 ❄️ Potential

So far my temp is 37 falling 6 degrees below TWC and 2 degrees below GSP. Dew point is 19. Forecast low is 26 we’ll see.

Looks like we could be seeing the models come further south with the wintery precip just like the previous storm.

This is not good..... is the NAM on to something ? View attachment 69157
I having mixed emotions. I don’t want a ice storm. That was a pretty dramatic shift. Was there a change with setup (high pressure, track of the low), or is the Euro just catching onto the depth of the CAD?

Last edited:
Sperry Piltz Ice Accumulation Index

View attachment 69147
I've been in that black zone before. December 2002. Never forget it. Killed power to 100% of the county. Sat in dark,cold for 8 days. Even the hospital was out. You couldnt get gas for generators. Would stand on deck and listen to booms as trees snapped,crashed in the woods. Up their in my top 4 [March 1993 mtns,Crusher 2000, 17 inch ULL Feb 2004].

I having mixed emotions. I don’t want a ice storm. That was a pretty dramatic shift. Was there a change with setup (high pressure, track of the low), or is the Euro just catching onto the depth of the CAD?
Looked like a little bit of the euro showing slightly stronger CAD and catching on tbh

I havent looked. But im willing to bet its just catching on as game time nears. Globals really struggle with cad. Per webb,past history. Ill get all in on soundings tomorrow. My thoughts are we hit +.25 frzng rn easy right now. Thats winter storm warn criteria. But im like nws. You really have to wait till game time to nowcast the cads. To have a chance to nail down exact details.

I've been in that black zone before. December 2002. Never forget it. Killed power to 100% of the county. Sat in dark,cold for 8 days. Even the hospital was out. You couldnt get gas for generators. Would stand on deck and listen to booms as trees snapped,crashed in the woods. Up their in my top 4 [March 1993 mtns,Crusher 2000, 17 inch ULL Feb 2004].
Dec 2002 was rough but somehow we only spent 2.5 days without power. Lost it for 4 with the crusher.

The GSP metro is certainly overdue. The last really serious ice storm in this area was in Dec 2005. Most of western NC has had major ice since that time.

Back