• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 30-Feb 2 2021 ❄️ Potential

Imagine using the OP GFS for a cold air damming setup and pushing it out in the public
I mean I think the GFS may be the most accurate but that's why I'm not a meteorologist and don't make forecasts and present them to the public lol

I mean I think the GFS may be the most accurate but that's why I'm not a meteorologist and don't make forecasts and present them to the public lol
The reason it’s probably not the most accurate in this case is simply because of the CAD. The GFS is historically horrible with it (look at this past Tuesday as one of many examples). Now I’m not saying that the CAD regions are definitely getting a big ice storm... it could turn out to be a ice to rain scenario with very little impact.

GFS is obviously terrible with CADs, even with a warmer run it’s still icy View attachment 68943
I feel more likely than not that the foothills,and NW Piedmont get a significant icing out of this. Further south into CLT metro and SC upstate, it’s simply going to be a matter of if the precip arrives early enough to start locking in the wedge stronger. I’ve certainly seen plenty of times that not get determined until literally right up till the beginning of the event. I can remember back in early January 1995, there was an ice storm for the CLT area that was not anticipated by forecasters. Even though the day was starting in the mid 20s, GSP did not forecast precip starting until early evening when temps would be in the low 40s. Instead the precip started about 7 hours early, the wedge locked in and temps fell back into the upper 20s from evaporational cooling after briefly getting to the mid 30s. The metro area ended up getting a significant glazing from nearly 8hrs of ZR. I remember this so well because the same storm was responsible for a huge severe weather outbreak for the eastern part of the state.

Back