• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

This may belong in the banter thread but I am saying it anyway. Feel free to move it elsewhere. But can I just say THANKS to all the Mods who are on top of removing some of these downright bogus claims in regards to this storm. It can't be easy, but you all are killing it!

The Euro literally has the CLT area go from the around 24 degrees at noon to 35 degrees by midnight. Does anyone actually buy that? lol
By this time the surface low is just about over VA Beach with w to wnw winds over W. North Carolina giving us some down sloping off the mountains.

EPS will be telling on where things stand right now. I doubt any you will see any crazy reactions from any NWS office today. We're still basically 5 days out since it has slowed down.
Yep Nashville was calling for 1-2 a couple days before last week’s storm. They gradually went up to 5-6 the morning of and 8 inches was common when it actually fell. They aren’t going to say omg 10-15 inches of snow will fall this weekend this far out.

Yep Nashville was calling for 1-2 a couple days before last week’s storm. They gradually went up to 5-6 the morning of and 8 inches was common when it actually fell. They aren’t going to say omg 10-15 inches of snow will fall this weekend this far out.
This will not be a Nashville event, as it looks right now. You have had enough.

I'd like to see these snow maps verify as well, but reality is that warm air is going to be pouring in aloft from the SE. A lot of these snow map algorithms are tinted toward promotion....like "hey, let's count the last 6 hours of precip as snow even though it changed from snow to sleet at hour 1". If the heavy damming holds like this, this will be a major winter storm no doubt, but you'll need to dig into the soundings to investigate the time of precip type changeover etc. The snow maps are going to be tilted on the high side east of the mountains in cases like this of damming and warm air moving in rapidly aloft

Back