• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

For those who dont remember February 2014(especially in the charlotte area):

I was in Fort Mill at the time. We started as heavy snow on the first morning around 23 or 24. We ended up getting about half a foot to eight inches before we changed to sleet and then to freezing rain. We changed back to snow on the way out the next morning.

It's still one of the best storms of my life and it had three different transitions.

But I don't like the orientation of it
Miller B printer go brrrr, to me this is trending favorably for western NC/upstate including GSO/CLT/GSP/ASV, models are really trying to Miller B more now, I had a feeling we would see this eventually, a amped up trend

For those who dont remember February 2014(especially in the charlotte area):

I was in Fort Mill at the time. We started as heavy snow on the first morning around 23 or 24. We ended up getting about half a foot to eight inches before we changed to sleet and then to freezing rain. We changed back to snow on the way out the next morning.

It's still one of the best storms of my life and it had three different transitions.
I absolutely loved that storm… the sleet and ice we got during the middle of it really helped to keep the ground covered for a number of days afterwards despite the February sun angle and a fairly quick warm up after the storm. A storm similar to that right now at peak climo and below average temperatures after the storm could really stay on the ground for awhile.

One thing to keep in mind as this appears to be turning into a Miller B or Hybrid A/B set up is that often times you can get an area of overrunning snow that breaks out well ahead of the main system and the models often don’t pick up on it until inside 12 hours. The February 2014 storm was a great example of that here southern and eastern areas of CLT metro back into the eastern Upstate… the snow started about 6 hours ahead of forecast and got heavy very quickly

Euro has the first wave that develops our 50/50 Low digging further SW in the short range. That is really telling for what we can expect our storm to potentially do as well.

Edit: It closes off right off the coast of NC which really helps for further development of the 50/50. Also the 850's are colder so far.

I absolutely loved that storm… the sleet and ice we got during the middle of it really helped to keep the ground covered for a number of days afterwards despite the February sun angle and a fairly quick warm up after the storm. A storm similar to that right now at peak climo and below average temperatures after the storm could really stay on the ground for awhile.
And one of the biggest disappointments in my lifetime for most of the upstate. 8-14 inches predicted by local mets the morning of and 3 inches of slop for me.

Brad is a solid dude, and it's encouraging that he's getting more confident in at least some type of winter weather considering how conservative( and rightfully so) he is.
Good video as always from Brad. I wonder if he’ll be back from his vacation by the weekend. He’s such a weenie too, he’ll hate not being in town for a big storm

Back