• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

So, we're losing the length of time the 50 /50 is hanging around, and allowing our high to make a beeline stage right. That's why the low is driving inland.
Basically, the energy is closing off sooner, slowing it down and thus allowing that to occur plus the more amped up solution more times than not trend poleward. I'm still not sold we don't see more ice, the HP getting a little stronger with a decent CAD setup, still plenty to sort out imho

So, we're losing the length of time the 50 /50 is hanging around, and allowing our high to make a beeline stage right. That's why the low is driving inland.
I thinks it's more the short wave is coming in more and more amped leading to a stronger and slightly more north solutions.

It's my fault y'all, I renewed my Wxbell account, sorry but any who, this looks better

1642356000-MLqRSfEYO94.png

Basically, the energy is closing off sooner, slowing it down and thus allowing that to occur plus the more amped up solution more times than not trend poleward. I'm still not sold we don't see more ice, the HP getting a little stronger with a decent CAD setup, still plenty to sort out imho
That 12z gfs was the earliest of a close off yet,that ive seen. Why it ssw back towards kansas. Just needed it to hold its hoarses another 6hrs.

I've seen comparisons like this a few times on here recently.. it is important not to compare an ensemble mean as a deterministic solution! The ensemble mean is NOT a forecast output and shouldn't be treated as one. Rather, there is usually clusters that ensemble members group into. It is much more useful to see how different clusters stack up over time, as ensemble means can be extraordinarily misleading.

While true at face value, 99% of people don’t have access to clusters so I don’t see the problem with using the mean when comparing to the deterministic. Are you arguing there’s zero use case for that output without clustering?

Back