• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

19cbacdef6d5a016c79a353adacfa367.jpg

This is strange…one heck of a warm nose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It'll be a lot worse than that once the NAM gets a hold of it

GFS verse The Gefs at Hr 96. Makes a big difference

500h_anom.conus.png

500h_anom.conus.png
I've seen comparisons like this a few times on here recently.. it is important not to compare an ensemble mean as a deterministic solution! The ensemble mean is NOT a forecast output and shouldn't be treated as one. Rather, there is usually clusters that ensemble members group into. It is much more useful to see how different clusters stack up over time, as ensemble means can be extraordinarily misleading.

Save us with some black and white CMC charts will ya?
Man thats throwback stuff there. Imagine some folks today without clown maps...lol
Honestly we're gonna see the extremes of potential here for another day or so. And then hone in on a track and strength. The consistency this far out is a rarity. Appreciate the analysis as always brother...carry on

From what i remember, this is what the 2014 storm looked a few days out. Showed a massive ice storm for SC. Then inside 36 hours, trends began to show more cold air entrenched in the CAD shifting the freezing rain threat further South and giving areas that were supposed to see a huge ice storm a ton of sleet.

The trend is to go a little North and amplify more so a lot of people who were in the all snow line will now be sleet and some snow. Further east and South toward Raleigh and Greenville SC, sleet and zr will be predominate if this north push holds up, the EURO will give us a better idea if it trends towards the GFS. Remember the GFS giveth and the GFS takith away

People familiar with western NC storm tracks, how comfortable would y’all be saying Maggie valley is a favorable spot to book a place and stay this weekend?

So, we're losing the length of time the 50 /50 is hanging around, and allowing our high to make a beeline stage right. That's why the low is driving inland.

Based on that how cold that ICON run was even with it’s known warm bias at this range, I give this map some validity… it’s also one of the reasons why I’m still not sold on this highly amped system the GFS is showing… I have a feeling the end result is gonna be somewhere in the middle between the GFS and EURO/UK… even if it’s closer to the GFS, I think with that strong of a CAD we could see a good bit more overrunning snowfall breakout earlier ahead of the system.. much like February 2014

Back