• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

Still thinking a blend of of the ensembles until the features get sampled is the best course.of action. Hard to believe that Amping on the gfs when each run shows a stronger tpv
It's a tough call (as always)...I think the strength / amplitude of the wave plays a role. The 06 GFS and Euro Control are pretty strong with the wave as it runs down thru Wyoming / Nebraska. Higher amplitude wave is going to move a little slower which gives it time and room to bottom out and turn the corner in the SE. You can see that here on the 06z GEFS spaghetti chart where over the SE, the white line is the operational run and the green lines are each of the ensemble members. The operational run is on both the slower side and more amplified side (checkout the white line running thru Maryland on the eastern flank of the wave)

The western / west-central NC / N GA crowd is going to like this more amplified look, while those farther south and east are going to want to see a nice amplifying wave, but with it sliding more west to east as it bottoms out instead of running more SW to NE.

djb6z6i.png

Exactly. This is how you know the Op GFS is lying. Either the snow maps and precip type maps are wrong, or we're not going to have a 979 Low parking itself in the middle of a wedge.

Yeah its ridiculous the maps the GFS has....rain in the mts buts somehow its still snowing over the piedmont.... we need that thing to get phased in 150 miles east of SC then move up to offshore Hatteras then climb slowly up to the ENE....thats how the big boys happen, hell even Jan 2000 which was crazy amped kept the surface low east of Lookout and Hatteras and I got mostly rain here from that one....really us eastern NC folks need them weaker or way out there lol....bottom line is we need this to not dig so much SW so early and phase in later, nothing in the current runs is anything but pain for us unless we see it either less amped or more suppressed so it bombs further offshore.....the runs this morning are classic screwjobs....big rainy storm followed by big cold and clear....

In the case we do get an amped up low that is too far west, with such a cold airmass in place somewhere could get a major sleet/ZR event out of this.

If you live in central or even eastern NC I wouldn’t panic much .. this is cold and deep CAD. This means with these amped trends we’re looking at a thump of snow and sleet turning into either a sleet storm or ice storm .. obviously no one wants that for power and trees but that’s where we’re at .. I wouldn’t freak out if you wanted lots of snow though because this is still before the beasts deform band moves by us and with this nature of a system that type of deform band would easily drop an additional 3-6 to whoever it crosses paths with … this has potential to be an outstanding winter storm for our area

Yeah its ridiculous the maps the GFS has....rain in the mts buts somehow its still snowing over the piedmont.... we need that thing to get phased in 150 miles east of SC then move up to offshore Hatteras then climb slowly up to the ENE....thats how the big boys happen, hell even Jan 2000 which was crazy amped kept the surface low east of Lookout and Hatteras and I got mostly rain here from that one....really us eastern NC folks need them weaker or way out there lol....bottom line is we need this to not dig so much SW so early and phase in later, nothing in the current runs is anything but pain for us unless we see it either less amped or more suppressed so it bombs further offshore.....the runs this morning are classic screwjobs....big rainy storm followed by big cold and clear....
All i have to see is a low west of hatteras and its game over for most of NC.

If you live in central or even eastern NC I wouldn’t panic much .. this is cold and deep CAD. This means with these amped trends we’re looking at a thump of snow and sleet turning into either a sleet storm or ice storm .. obviously no one wants that for power and trees but that’s where we’re at .. I wouldn’t freak out if you wanted lots of snow though because this is still before the beasts deform band moves by us and with this nature of a system that type of deform band would easily drop an additional 3-6 to whoever it crosses paths with … this has potential to be an outstanding winter storm for our area
I think you're right. Once you get south of 64, this may end up being a hellacious sleet or ice storm if the amped solutions play out.

View attachment 103744
Jesus that is deep vort coming down. Closed off already as well.
Surface low over Dallas at the end of the run (I know 84 hour NAM - salt over shoulder), and it's heading SE toward central Louisiana and the closed upper low is heading nearly due south, about to crash into the panhandle of TX. It looked like a really good show was about to start in the SE!

All i have to see is a low west of hatteras and its game over for most of NC.
Ok can we have any more negative posts from the Triangle and east folks? Yes it is looking more amplified, but last nights Euro had us dry and suppressed. Yes we could rain or certainly mix, but I don’t see the need for this yet.

Back