• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

Surface low over Dallas at the end of the run (I know 84 hour NAM - salt over shoulder), and it's heading SE toward central Louisiana and the closed upper low is heading nearly due south, about to crash into the panhandle of TX. It looked like a really good show was about to start in the SE!
That was the next thing I was going to bring up. Due to the orientation of the trough this would likely swing south of I20 and probably closer to Savannah as it makes its way through with this look. That is a big deal if you want snow along and north of 20.

If you live in central or even eastern NC I wouldn’t panic much .. this is cold and deep CAD. This means with these amped trends we’re looking at a thump of snow and sleet turning into either a sleet storm or ice storm .. obviously no one wants that for power and trees but that’s where we’re at .. I wouldn’t freak out if you wanted lots of snow though because this is still before the beasts deform band moves by us and with this nature of a system that type of deform band would easily drop an additional 3-6 to whoever it crosses paths with … this has potential to be an outstanding winter storm for our area

Man a sub 1010 low over land in NC is rain all the way around for most folks east of the triangle, much less the 990ish stuff the models have...its would scrub out the CAD fast, the issue is more why are the models slamming these strong lows into such a strong TPV.....so most likely one of these two things is wrong....either the cold is not as strong and deep and the storm runs up inland and we all rain or the TPV is strong enough to keep this thing suppressed and east and we all crash the board with snow photos.....but as modeled on the last couple of runs its not anything but rain for NC.....

You would need to see the surface low at best right on the coast for the RDU and west crowd to have a chance at a ice storm....especially if its a sub 1000mb low....these maps with 987s over Roanoke Rapids are nothing but rain.....

Man a sub 1010 low over land in NC is rain all the way around for most folks east of the triangle, much less the 990ish stuff the models have...its would scrub out the CAD fast, the issue is more why are the models slamming these strong lows into such a strong TPV.....so most likely one of these two things is wrong....either the cold is not as strong and deep and the storm runs up inland and we all rain or the TPV is strong enough to keep this thing suppressed and east and we all crash the board with snow photos.....but as modeled on the last couple of runs its not anything but rain for NC.....

You would need to see the surface low at best right on the coast for the RDU and west crowd to have a chance at a ice storm....especially if its a sub 1000mb low....these maps with 987s over Roanoke Rapids are nothing but rain.....
You're reading too much in the LP placement. 1. A LP is not going to come that far inland with the type of CAD that is built into the region. The GFS has notoriously done this through the years. The LP is either going to pivot around the Cold Dome or transfer like a miller B.

WRAL has it so far offshore its mainly an outer banks threat.

All i have to see is a low west of hatteras and its game over for most of NC.
I’m sorry but that’s just not true… the February 2014 storm tracked just east of I-95 and there was widespread 6”+ totals for most of the western 2/3rds of the state. The key was how strong a CAD was in place and even the amped up GFS has had a comparable CAD setting up.

Key thing with 50/50 low / TPV etc is placement (in addition to strength)...the farther south and east it is located, and just as important, the farther south and east the appendages that rotate around it are located, the more suppression it will exert to the flow along the east coast

Somebody said Webber was throwing out a possible March 1980 like event. I think most NC folks would go for that!
ID_97.gif
I posted this earlier, but the pattern is becoming more analogous to March 1980
gfs-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-2280400.png

2013-2014 +PNA (2).png
*Note that the date is off, this is in fact March 1980.*

I’m sorry but that’s just not true… the February 2014 storm tracked just east of I-95 and there was widespread 6”+ totals for most of the western 2/3rds of the state. The key was how strong a CAD was in place and even the amped up GFS has had a comparable CAD setting up.
One other thing I'll add here is how the CAD is building. If building-in during the storm snow/sleet wins out. If retreating...getting scoured-out (which does not look to happen here) then yes you have more zr/rain.

Very similar. Notice the ridge/block above the PV is more favorably located now. If that turns out to be correct, then the southern solutions may have the advantage here.
It's hard to get a good grasp on just how far NW this can go. The econtrol favoring the gfs scares the crap out of me, the only other op that was well north was the icon but it wasn't for the same reasons. With the euro and cmc south you have to wonder if we see a little meeting in the middle here versus everything trending more and more NW

It's hard to get a good grasp on just how far NW this can go. The econtrol favoring the gfs scares the crap out of me, the only other op that was well north was the icon but it wasn't for the same reasons. With the euro and cmc south you have to wonder if we see a little meeting in the middle here versus everything trending more and more NW
If the 6Z EPS and Control were to be believed, the GFS is on to something.

Very similar. Notice the ridge/block above the PV is more favorably located now. If that turns out to be correct, then the southern solutions may have the advantage here.
So this means the could on track GFS could trend SE as we get closer if the Vortex stays in the same position? This could also mean it's more likely that the Midlands of SC/Eastern NC could see huge snowfall amouts as a result of this ,correct?

Back