• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

I’d agree. If you’re in GA you’re almost hoping this trends warmer to avoid ice on the front end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One thing I would watch for you N GA folks is the HRRR as it begins to come into view… it does great at picking up strong FGEN bands and this set up screams that potential. A strong FGEN band can crash a column very quickly

I’d agree. If you’re in GA you’re almost hoping this trends warmer to avoid ice on the front end.

Aside from my area NEward where it's so borderline on many models that if it stays or is even a hair colder it will be mostly snow with less ice or more sleet than ice

One thing I would watch for you N GA folks is the HRRR as it begins to come into view… it does great at picking up strong FGEN bands and this set up screams that potential. A strong FGEN band can crash a column very quickly

Maybe…particularly if you believe the ICON after it goes negative tilt.

First call, thinking I-20 and north especially has the chance of significant ice accumulation. Then as you get towards the NC/SC border towards 85 the chances of snow and sleet accumulation pick up significantly, then in WNC/northern counties of the upstate and VA, there could be some bigtime snow accumulation. I have a small circle for FGEN snow band potential View attachment 104893
Looks good, if I were a map maker I'd probably slide it west some or either eliminate the pink area, at the very least label that as onset sn/ip/zr quickly transitioning to all rn. That low track on the 6z euro will put an end to any frozen quick around here

I'm a little scared by the 06z RGEM and 06z NAM. Both have egregious 850's and go above freezing especially to areas to the east. Fortunately, the RGEM is less of an issue than the NAM for the upstate. I think that the mesoscale models are starting to get a better handle on the temperature profile. Fortunately, the east shifts should decrease that concern should it continue.

This a problem if you want frozen precip

1642334400-hNbNf2hG1Zk.png

Yea man this one is gonna be fun. Safely using kuchera method is still a major for a lot of us coupled with big winds...what a day this will be if the euro is correct. It may be wrong but you can't argue the consistency which is believable.

The Euro has been rock solid on this storm for days while the GFS gives everyone heart palpitations. I'm sticking with it until I see a change and will rely on the HRRR as we get in it's range. The Low we're watching enters the south in approx 48 hours. It's go time.

Yeh I’m not entirely sure why y’all don’t seem concerned about the overnight and 06z runs. All of them ticked warmer. Maybe for areas snow trended higher in your specific area, but in general, temps and temps aloft ticked warmer or maybe stayed about the same. East trend doesn’t mean a ton if that HP in the NE doesn’t cooperate better. On to the 12z runs.

PS, Shawn, I hope we get an Ice storm the size of Kansas.

But...... and maybe I'm wishcasting, but, the Euro isn't necessarily in it's wheelhouse at this juncture. I'll reserve too many negative comments (for Central/Eastern NC) until we see what the 12z suite looks like. If the NAM/RGEM still show very good cold dry air feed with a smidge better slp track, then could still be a significant event around here. Still lots to sort out

FFC delivering a swift kick to the nads this morning. ?

Warmer temps towards the ATL metro will lend towards all rain with
snow possibly mixing in at times. However, if the wedge is stronger
than anticipated, will have to monitor for light icing, especially
in the eastern ATL `burbs. Do think that ptype will finish off as
ra/sn on the back side of the low across much of north Georgia.

Yeh I’m not entirely sure why y’all don’t seem concerned about the overnight and 06z runs. All of them ticked warmer. Maybe for areas snow trended higher in your specific area, but in general, temps and temps aloft ticked warmer or maybe stayed about the same. East trend doesn’t mean a ton if that HP in the NE doesn’t cooperate better. On to the 12z runs.

Robert, the temps ticking up or down a few degrees are within a certain margin of error for sure. I agree with "on to the 12z" suites as that shed a little more light on temps but still, things can variate right up until "go time".

FFC delivering a swift kick to the nads this morning. ?

Warmer temps towards the ATL metro will lend towards all rain with
snow possibly mixing in at times. However, if the wedge is stronger
than anticipated, will have to monitor for light icing, especially
in the eastern ATL `burbs. Do think that ptype will finish off as
ra/sn on the back side of the low across much of north Georgia.
Can't say that I blame them based on what occurred overnight. I'm honestly skeptical of any backside impact other than novel flakes.

Last edited:

It's a fine line up here..always on the razors edge. I'm concerned but still expect a major storm. Fine adjustment in placement, track and timing are coming. The 12z suite will be telling after sampling for sure.

Back