• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

This is from the CMC last night at 00Z ****THIS IS NOT THIS STORM BUT ONE IT HAS NEXT FRIDAY***** The reason I posted it is this is the track we want to see this weekends storm trend to, however at this point it seems rather hopeless.....this weekend storm is gonna cut up I 95 and literally rain on many parades.....

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh198-216.gif

Latest from GSP

The current thinking is that most of NE GA, Upstate SC, and the
Charlotte metro area will see some degree of warm nosing to undercut
potential snow totals and generate more sleet, with more freezing
rain especially likely at times along and southeast of I-85. 850 to
700 mb frontogenesis will likely sharpen up along and east of the
mountains to enhance precipitation rates Sunday morning. The phasing
process of this southern system back into the northern stream may
accelerate the low passage. That could be a slight limiting factor,
but it may not matter much given the otherwise excellent potential
for significant wintry accumulations across the region as it stands.

I’m a newbie and learning so please forgive our local forecasters in Augusta Ga said all rain, so I guess we are in the clear.
Your local forecaster is apparently all-in on the GFS. Augusta MAY be in "the clear" but there is model support on the NAM and ICON for at least some freezing rain. Not to mention there are still 3 full days away for things to trend better or worse.

First call, thinking I-20 and north especially has the chance of significant ice accumulation. Then as you get towards the NC/SC border towards 85 the chances of snow and sleet accumulation pick up significantly, then in WNC/northern counties of the upstate and VA, there could be some bigtime snow accumulation. I have a small circle for FGEN snow band potential 2BE44500-0EB1-40E1-93C4-C95075D2FD6A.jpeg

Your local forecaster is apparently all-in on the GFS. Augusta MAY be in "the clear" but there is model support on the NAM and ICON for at least some freezing rain. Not to mention there are still 3 full days away for things to trend better or worse.
Thank you so much for your information, I’ll prepare just in case.

Looking over the the meteograms with kcae as the target, noticed over the last few runs of the american models; we end up right on the edge during the heart of precipitation... even the nam wants around 32F...

Being right on the edge at 32F tends to not end up in major ice accumulation, especially in heavy precipitation due to latent heating (heat given off as water forms a solid in this case). The mean temperature is around 35F (but this could be skewed by the most warm model GFS)

KCAE alluded to a changeover to rain even in the central Midlands in their latest forecast discussion.

Good signs that the surface is warming up on the NAM around here, but we are still days away.

If I were y’all I wouldn’t worry too much about the thermals of the global models right now especially the GFS. Yeah the EURO was a bit warmer for some areas but let’s see if the 06z goes back to cooler. I really wouldn’t even look T the NAM thermals either,because it’s not quite in range yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do any of the EPS members show a full on cutter? Last night's EURO run is concerning with the initial low hanging on so long and so far NW.

I wouldn’t worry about the GEFS or really any ensemble spread now that we are getting under day 4. CAD is very hard for ops and ensembles to pick up in the medium range and the smoothing of the mean gets really bad in ensembles for CAD in the short range. Also note that models always try and move the HP out faster and erode CAD faster than reality. Really want to start looking at the shorter range stuff more now anyways.

6z Euro. Better than 0z.
snku_acc.us_ma.png

fram_acc.us_ma.png

Back