• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

Tony,
Hopefully it will change to more of a sleet threat for you, but for now it looks like the dreaded ZR, which I know you truly dread. Regardless, hopefully you’d get some snow on the backside!

Regarding major ZR, I was posting about past devastating ones in Atlanta that had temperatures only a little under 32. The 1/1973 one first comes to mind though there have been others. I recall you posting about that one and how scary it was in Buckhead with lots of loud noise and sort of a warzone damage kind of look. Official records had it only down to 30-31 F for most of the storm. Did you realize that?
Yeah, the bank temp up the street next to Lenox was stuck on 32 the whole time. I walked up to Ptree and it was live lines and poles and trees everywhere in the road, and days later neighborhoods were impassable due to trees and poles across them. Atlanta is a city of hills and trees. Trees into houses, etc. Nothing was open for a long time, and people with electric heat were suffering terribly, no one could get food. It was pretty that night though with all the transformers blowing, and it sounded like the battle of Atl. I had one nearly as bad down here in the 80's. I had about an acre of pines and you couldn't walk on the ground for all the downed limbs. We had huge bon fires for days trying to clean up. A half inch is fine. Two inches is hell. A gom low bringing zr is really bad news. But if it's a Miller B that changes things as the energy always jumps over Ga and leaves us crying. I remember two heavy snow warnings that came up to the Ala line, then nothing for Ga. I hate Miller B's almost as much as I hate zr, lol. Couple zr with a Miller B and it looks like a near miss to me :)

Tony, Man, you are due and I can't speak for anyone else, but prayers up ... ?
Thanks :) My favorite storms have been sleet storms with multiple inches. It's like concrete when it freezes down, and all the 4 wheel guys showing off to their gals can't ruin it. Been a super long time since I saw two inches of sleet, but I know I'll get another one day, lol. If the gulf stays open, no reason you can't get yours too!

The EPS interesting increased snowfall mean despite having slightly warmer 850s, but I looked closer and many members have a backside band/backside ULL snow band
You think us folks in Northwest MS are sitting in a decent spot at this range? Hoping folks in North AL can get in on this too.

Back