• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

The MJO is currently in phase 8. The GEFS has not updated in a week. But these other three models say that it will be inside the circle at the time of the storm. If that holds and ATL gets a major sleet/ZR storm, that would keep the streak going at 9 major ATL ZR or sleets in a row with it inside or at the circle:

View attachment 104741

View attachment 104742

View attachment 104743
I just looked it up and I also see that we now have a +PNA, and both the AO and NAO go into negative values on the 15th. Phase 8 into COD, +PNA, -AO, and -NAO… it makes sense that a widespread major winter storm is forecasted for the southeast

Eps mean and control keeps ticking up. 6+ solid now mby.
We use to use a rule on phased ns and ss miller A scenerios that we never wanted it to close off till after it reached the Mississippi River down along Gulf coast. Reason was better chance to keep it up along SE coast, not inland coastal plain.

Cant use that rule here. But you see why you root for that if theres ever a pure miller A from a phasing of NS and SS energy.

Seeing this backside changeover back to snow on everything east of apps. Cant remember last time thats ever happened in NC

Eps mean and control keeps ticking up. 6+ solid now mby.
We use to use a rule on phased ns and ss miller A scenerios that we never wanted it to close off till after it reached the Mississippi River down along Gulf coast. Reason was better chance to keep it up along SE coast, not inland coastal plain.

Cant use that rule here. But you see why you root for that if theres ever a pure miller A from a phasing of NS and SS energy.

Seeing this backside changeover back to snow on everything east of apps. Cant remember last time thats ever happened in NC
February 2014 had that changeover back to snow for the western half of the state and many areas along the I-77 corridor from Charlotte north got absolutely plastered by it. January 2016 did though on a much smaller scale as well.

namconus_z500_vort_us_37.png

Back