• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

Why do you say this? In 2014 Augusta got much more than NE Atlanta burbs knocking down Eisenhower tree at Augusta National. It can happen and has at times.

He is a professional, and his opinion matters. 2014 is literally the only time I've ever seen this happen, but generally CAD is much sharper, narrower, hugging closer to the east side of the mountains, areas below freezing that is.

Why do you say this? In 2014 Augusta got much more than NE Atlanta burbs knocking down Eisenhower tree at Augusta National. It can happen and has at times. Augusta is a pretty wedge friendly city.

This is correct. Very little in the way of ZR for that storm for in-town & NE suburbs. That was mostly a sleet producer until the cold core low moved over & dropped another few inches of snow.

Solutions should settle in the next 24hrs, in many ways it’s a hybrid not classic A/B, expect the transition zones to sharpen somewhat and a tick NW inside 48, status quo. Still a mess and easy NESIS 3, 4 depends on track along or just off the Mid-Atlantic/NE. Many areas will see most of there snow from the front end wet tongue.

Why do you say this? In 2014 Augusta got much more than NE Atlanta burbs knocking down Eisenhower tree at Augusta National. It can happen and has at times. Augusta is a pretty wedge friendly city.

Yeah, I have my doubts that this actually brings ice here (although considering that the ICON is apparently warm biased, then maybe I am going to see ice), but...

1. CAD does work here. It doesn't always mean that there is going to be wintry weather, but I can remember plenty of times where my high for the day was predicted somewhere in the 60s, or 50s, and it never got there due to CAD (which is why I called out the 12z GFS).

2. There has been major ice here before.

I feel like a lot of people are gonna be turned off to sleet and freezing rain after this event. Gonna be some major disruptions to a lot of folks in GA, NC, SC. This isn’t a marginal set up. This is looking very crippling for a very large area.

Some, yes. But some others here have posted they know the potential consequences and still want a major icestorm just like hurricane and severe wx seekers want those.

I know it has been said over and over but it will be very interesting to see what shifts we see especially into tomorrow morning as the wave finally gets sampled. Sure, there usually isn’t a massive change but we all remember that Christmas 2010 storm where it made a huge difference.

Icon is below freezing from the metro north and east Sunday morning.

This is the precip map at the same time with the Icon not depicting ZR at the surface.

View attachment 104592
You can see here after the initial snow (will take awhile to reach the ground) there is a lull in intensity shown over SC. That will likely lose the snow growth for most outside of the foothills. It’s gonna be painfully slow to moisten up the lower levels of the atmosphere while watching Georgia mtns get it. Further on, if 1-3” falls it will lock in the cad and the majority of the event for everyone will be Ice. It’s not so much a thump IMO it’s just the storm evolving and locking in the mixed bag for a big area.

The high of 48 in Greenville on Saturday , should be slightly concerning! I know it’s a super wedge and all that, but I have been burned sooooo many times by cold not arriving in time, and starting out as rain, but will quickly turn to snow type forecasts! Just food for thought, no matter how perfect the storm appears

I feel like a lot of people are gonna be turned off to sleet and freezing rain after this event. Gonna be some major disruptions to a lot of folks in GA, NC, SC. This isn’t a marginal set up. This is looking very crippling for a very large area.
Thoughts for us in Chattanooga

Back