• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

NAM is more sheared still through 66. And our 50/50 has really slowed down and gained strength. It warms 850's in the short term but as the low continues north it works in tandem to funnel in cold air all through the atmosphere further south as our storm is coming into the picture.
Has some negative dew points (-1) pushing into NE NC.

My takeaways comparing the 18z to the 12z Nam
-Stronger High Pressure and in a more favorable spot slightly further west.
-Stronger Confluence that helped keep the HP a bit west
-Shortwave was slightly weaker. Many frames it stayed open where it was closed off at 12z
-Weaker surface low
-Surface low was a touch faster than 12z. This seemed to be because the Shortwave wasn't digging quite as much earlier in the run.

My takeaways comparing the 18z to the 12z Nam
-Stronger High Pressure and in a more favorable spot slightly further west.
-Stronger Confluence that helped keep the HP a bit west
-Shortwave was slightly weaker. Many frames it stayed open where it was closed off at 12z
-Weaker surface low
-Surface low was a touch faster than 12z. This seemed to be because the Shortwave wasn't digging quite as much earlier in the run.
Good stuff and as you mentioned it is keeping the the wave open a little longer each run. NAM is decent inside of 60 hrs, curious to see if it continues to stay open further east with each successive run now

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the north and east Atlanta suburbs get in on that front end snow band for a few hours Sunday morning before changing over to freezing rain. I would even say that we may end up below freezing all day Sunday based off some of the models. Kinda feels like Feb. 2014.

Where it stands now I'd suggest snow, sleet, freezing rain, sleet, snow for our area. Really hoping the freezing rain portion is kept to a minimum.

Modeling the CAD is always the trick. Moisture is NOT going to be a problem with this storm. It's going to be a very bad ice storm for many. Hopefully, most of the ice will be sleet and not fzrn. Whomever gets the fzrn it's going to be lights out, literally. Also, the winds are going to be high, esp once the storm rides up the coast.
Yea with Dewpoints so low and even actual temps…locals here and esp Ashe County NC will tell you funky things can happen during transfers with qpf. @BIG FROSTY knows this well too. Already GFS vs Euro disagree on amounts and with plenty of days if the euro were to cut in half then we are talking a low grade winter storm. Of course, always prepare for the worse but saying absolutes in all caps after many storms we know what could happen.

Not often you see 29/3 proceeding a winter storm here
This is ahead of schedule: But it happens to many times to count, almost always. as we get closer to start time for precip, it seems to always arrive earlier than forecasted by models. Reading the Metwannabe and SD talk of frontogensis early thump etc. This would help get some folks a couple hours of the good stuff, before the waa comes along to wreck the soundings upstairs.

28/4 for me at the end of that NAM run. I’ve always felt for to see a strong CAD to lock things under freezing here, I want to have my temperature in the mid 30s and the single digit dewpoints right about the NC/VA state line…this far and away exceeds that. This really does have the potential to be one of the stronger CAD set ups we’ve seen in a long time

Back