• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

@Parker BIG words from Ray’s weather center. He doesn’t pull out the “big snow” snowman very often. The alarms are sounding for WNC.

“We get a brief lull Friday night into Saturday morning. But all eyes turn to a potent low moving from the Great Plains to North Florida by Sunday morning. It then roars up the East Coast as a classic Nor'Easter.. This system has real potential as a snow-maker for the Southern Appalachians. Light snow may develop during the daytime Saturday into Saturday evening. The bulk of snow comes late Saturday night through Sunday with snow showers lasting well into Monday. Accumulations will be moderate to heavy. I was tempted to pull out the "Big Snow" Snowman-O-Mometer, but give that the culprit low is thousands of miles away in the Eastern Pacific, I decided the uncertainty was too great for such a move today. But beware, this has potential!

Born and raised in Birmingham so just my .02.....You are more likely to get CAD into East Central AL than you are in the NE part of the state. I am talking about areas like Scottsboro, Guntersville, down to Gadsden are less likely to see CAD than Anniston. It used to happen a lot in the 80's.
When I say northeast Alabama I mean the northeastern chunk so most of east central Alabama as well lol ?. But I see what your saying. Depends how strong it is, on how far it will get really. I just want some snow lol

soundings looks like sleet, not frz rain. just need to hope that warm nose isnt stronger than modeled.
I was talking about the greater Charlotte area. FRAM ice accumulations had a bullseye of 1" ice accrual from Rock Hill to South Charlotte to Monroe. But yes it's possible we stay mostly sleet. It's what's saved us for the past two decades.

I know some say CAD is always underestimated, but I have also seen times when it ended up being warmer than forecast when there's CAD.

Sure it has…but also depending on what’s eroding it. The point is we don’t know and can’t accurately predict at this stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely further north but also dang sure looks like it's trying to get a slp going in the panhandle of Fl, that would be different

prateptype_cat_ecmwf.conus.png

Back