• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

Not a great track through NC on the ICON. Still Yuck for lots of places.
icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_36.png
Yeah, most everyone outside the mountains is going to change over to something other than snow with an onshore track. Really can’t have that.

Granted the ICON has been all over the place (along with the others) and will likely continue to play catch up with this thing, with its known 2m warm bias...the 12Z is quite the concerning look for the I-20 corridor in E GA/SC for what could be a significant ice event. Also kudos to all and the mods for the continued great discussion with this complex event.

That's major ice for a huge chuck SC. My hope is we can trend even colder and and shear out the engery more and more, so we push the low pressure system towards northern Gulf, then more of us get snow/sleet and less areas with freezing rain. Basically wishcasting at this point,but just maybe we pull a Feb 2014 and avoid a very damnaging and historic ice storm.

That's major ice for a huge chuck SC. My hope is we can trend even colder and and shear out the engery more and more, so we push the low presure system towards northern Gulf, then more of us get snow/sleet and less areas with freezing rain.
Yeah a lot of that is ZR in the midlands. It fact the ZR would probably be even further south into the low country if the warm bias of the ICON is also taken into account.

I don’t recall anything about the ICON being warm-biased like I’m reading some here? I don’t think that’s true? If anything, I’ve seen the opposite in the past at the surface.
I also distinctly recall last winter in several CAD situations the consensus here was it had a COLD bias and that did verify. Different setup though, and maybe something has changed. IDK.

Could be that some mistake the lack of mixed precip clown maps that have created this thinking? Or does someone have some empirical evidence to the contrary?

Back