• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

This is all dependent on how strong our vort is coming out of Canada. The stronger the better. Stronger = more moisture and more ability to pull down cold air from the 50/50 and high pressure.

I like how you speak of caution here. Our TPV can’t waiver much to the east.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is all dependent on how strong our vort is coming out of Canada. The stronger the better. Stronger = more moisture and more ability to pull down cold air from the 50/50 and high pressure.

It also depends on how the SW trough is tilted. The more neutrally tilted it is coming down through the plains, the more likely it can draw in moist southwesterly winds which is crucial for additional moisture transport. Either that or just continue to hope it digs more and more.

Personally I'd rather see this being on the 12Z or 00Z rather than the 18Z run. The 18Z has thrown out some crazy model solutions on previous systems that never materialize.

I like how you speak of caution here. Our TPV can’t waiver much to the east.

Even on model runs that aren’t producing snow, the TPV is in a position and has trended more favorable with the cold air feed. It’s up to our vort coming down to be strong enough and be tilted negatively enough to start cranking up the moisture and being able to tap into the cold feed

Can you imagine if that wedge is under modeled? I mean…things could really get out of hand for NGA.

Taken verbatim, and all else being equal if the wedge can be just a bit stronger, Atlanta would be a big hit. It sure wouldn't hurt to get that surface low on the gulf coast either.
gfs_mslp_wind_us_22.png

Back