• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

If I were going snow chasing this weekend near Gatlinburg I’d probably try to get somewhere closer to Cosby/Foothills parkway area, unless you can find a cabin up near Ober Gatlinburg with some elevation.

Other areas if I were chasing:

Watauga - Todd
Avery- Elk Park or Banner Elk
Mitchell - Buladean
Yancey/Madison- Wolf Laurel

If I were going snow chasing this weekend near Gatlinburg I’d probably try to get somewhere closer to Cosby/Foothills parkway area, unless you can find a cabin up near Ober Gatlinburg with some elevation.

Other areas if I were chasing:

Watauga - Todd
Avery- Elk Park or Banner Elk
Mitchell - Buladean
Yancey/Madison- Wolf Laurel
Our poster in Erwin has to be licking his chops. From Watuga lake back up to Boone on the west side would cash in nice on the gfs

So KATL has started the month at 14.2F above the average. Factoring in the GFS through 1/23 would leave KATL at +9.8F, a solid second to that point of the month if that forecast is in the neighborhood.

I've looked back at the data going to around 1880 or so, and here are the warmest Januarys on record:
1. 1950 +10.6
2. 1880 +9.5
3. 1974 +8.4
4. 1937 +8.2
5. 1907 +7.4
6. 2017 +7.2
7. 1949 +7.0
8. 1890 +6.2

GFS Forecast for KATL
1673133032242.png

I got a chance of a pellet or two in morning. Love my freezing rain chances temps in the mid/upper 30s. Lol

a7d062cf60c8f3701f23a62f03cd0d6e.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hands down best setup of the winter so far for the NC mountains. If this doesn’t do it for favored areas then it’s tough sledding from here..and by tough sledding I mean sledding on grass and asphalt

Really pulling for that Canadian crawler solution..that would be a banger

Last edited:
Hands down best setup of the winter so far for the NC mountains. If this doesn’t do it for favored areas then it’s tough sledding from here..and by tough sledding I mean sledding on grass and asphalt

I always laugh when winter is thrown away Jan 7th. Monthly modeling isn’t accurate. If so then we would have our forecasts correct. We can’t trust anything more than 7-8 days out. I’ll stick w Charlotte and our 1848 record of measurable ice or snow every year since then. Look forward to it!!! Cheers all!!

Significant uptick on the 18z GEFS as far as the snowfall mean goes for the mountains. It almost doubled on the mean and is more in line with the EPS.

I read on Ober gatlinburgs website that their last natural snowfall was on 4/10/22…

That’s really remarkable considering I’ve seen the mountains receive measurable snow in October, November, and a December many times. Just shows how bad it’s been for the mountains so far

Last edited:
I read on Ober gatlinburgs website that their last natural snowfall was on 4/10/21…..

That’s really remarkable considering I’ve seen the mountains receive measurable snow in October, November, and a December many times. Just shows how bad it’s been for the mountains so far
That's incredibly depressing

I read on Ober gatlinburgs website that their last natural snowfall was on 4/10/21…..

I'm quite surprised they are still in business as their peak elevation is only something like 3k I believe. Cataloochee struggles for natural snow at 5600', but at least they invested heavily in their snowmaking capabilities.

I read on Ober gatlinburgs website that their last natural snowfall was on 4/10/22…

They had snow almost 2 weeks ago.

Back