• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

Eps isn't cold but h5 is going where your want to see it
My own 'theory' here is that the MJO moving out of the Maritime Continent into the W Pacific combined with elevated EAsia Mtn Torq (+EAMT) in the mid-late Dec period to over-extend the Pac Jet, leading to this Super Nino-like period we are experiencing now which reminds me of the Super Nino winter of 1998 where there were numerous east coast storms, but no cold air.

Over the next couple weeks, we are going to see the opposite occur.....the MJO influence on the extended jet should relax some as the MJO moves off to the east. Also, we now have an ongoing -EAMT period here for the first half of Jan. So, the Pac Jet is going to weaken

But then we get to the part where we may have some promise for a colder pattern. The next big Siberian High forms and drops into EAsia (renewed +EAMT), extending the Pac Jet back out to the money spot for western ridging near Hawaii. So, hopefully this time, the +EAMT runs the show for the most part without heavy MJO influence, preventing the Pac Jet from over-extending and giving us a colder profile in the last 1/3 of Jan.

1st Loop: Siberia High
2nd Loop: Pac Jet over-extended flipped to Hawaii Day 1 to Day 15
3rd Loop: Gulf of Alaska Low flipped to Aleutian Low Day 1 to Day 15

Anyway, those are some thoughts on a cloudy Saturday morning. It feels a bit slimy to be hanging out in long range land with the way things have gone, but what the heck

kN2luTM.gif

jdDEcn9.gif

AZxag1m.gif

Pretty solid GFS run for western facing slopes, CMC looks great as well with UL energy swinging in with over 24 hours of NW flow snow View attachment 129659View attachment 129660
I’m torn right now. Nothing really available for 1 night around Beech sugar other than a couple $400 rooms but I can get a good Hilton friends and family rate in Cherokee then go skiing Sunday morning at Cataloochee 15 minutes away. Plus I can go gamble at Harrahs Saturday night. Cherokee is just such a bad spot..

I’m torn right now. Nothing really available for 1 night around Beech sugar other than a couple $400 rooms but I can get a good Hilton friends and family rate in Cherokee then go skiing Sunday morning at Cataloochee 15 minutes away. Plus I can go gamble at Harrahs Saturday night. Cherokee is just such a bad spot..
What about the Gatlinburg area ?

I have a cabin in Gatlinburg that we have stayed at twice and its right around 2900 feet up (right next to over gatlinburg). I am close to biting on it. We have been twice for 2-4 inch Northwest flow events and it was perfect.

Not how I wanted peak climo to go this year. But hey on the bright side next year will be a nino and I prefer that over these Nina's.
Not me if its a mod to strong Nino, we get flooded/overwhelmed with pacific air continously. Fight same demon we are fighting now. Low grade nino, will usually bode well.

Buffalo has had over 96 inches of snow so far. This was totals on Christmas day. They where at 96.

Attachments

• 1673111546396.png
    1673111546396.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
Go to yancy or mitchell county. Between the avery county slopes and wolf laurel in madison county

Back