• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

If you’re headed to the mountains (like me) next weekend, forget the 50/50. What we want to see, is higher heights behind the storm, the more digging, the more amplification the upper level low is gonna get, the more energy we dump into the shortwave, the heavier/longer lasting the Nw flow snow could be and a deeper ULL, which would pull in more CAA. But Even the high country starts out as rain at first, but would eventually switch over to snow.

FWIW, the GFS has trended all day toward a phase off the NE coast. 00Z didn't quite get it done, but it was really pretty close to blowing up the much-needed 50/50 low on day 5.
gfs_z500a_namer_21.png

Ooof, doink, fail tuba! This Western Trough pattern has been relentless this winter, sans about 2 weeks! Looks like January is toast! View attachment 129642
Man. if Robert is giving up on it you know we're in a sad state, he doesn't throw the towel until he's alone in the building and the lights have been turned off.

06z EPS looking better, esp on the onset for the mountains. Colder mid levels, would have probably boded well for later, hey @SD if there’s support at 12z still for the mountains can I make a mountain storm thread, since there’s so many people going next weekend ?

Last edited:
Not how I wanted peak climo to go this year. But hey on the bright side next year will be a nino and I prefer that over these Nina's.

Why is GFS showing that much snow outside of the mountains even across upstate? Nothing is really showing snow, if anything it looks like ice across upper upstate

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
Upstate gonna blank with this one. I’m an idiot though so don’t listen to me. But they’re going to blank

Why is GFS showing that much snow outside of the mountains even across upstate? Nothing is really showing snow, if anything it looks like ice across upper upstate

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
It shows ice as snow accumulation in its algorithm .. don’t expect anything in the upstate .. no 50/50 means no fun

Back