• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

This is what I describe as the "Back 2 the Future" syndrome.
One minor thing changes everything,
And the entirety looks completely different afterwards.
Ur prior post is why I'll never punt an entire month nor even 2 weeks,
No matter what modeling & or analogs show.
No matter how consistent it's being shown.
If u live in region such as I who have never gone a entire winter without at least 1 minor event. (52 years & counting)
Then I highly doubt this is going to be the year u see nothing.
I agree with this mostly..but where were you living in 2011-2012? GSP did it. Went the entire winter without a flake or sleet pellet. I'm sure there have been many with just a trace. It certainly has been a dozen or so of those at CLT and RDU. A trace counts in the books but isn't accumulating winter precip. There have been many complete duds like that and it'll happen again sooner or later.

I agree with this mostly..but where were you living in 2011-2012? GSP did it. Went the entire winter without a flake or sleet pellet. I'm sure there have been many with just a trace. It certainly has been a dozen or so of those at CLT and RDU. A trace counts in the books but isn't accumulating winter precip. There have been many complete duds like that and it'll happen again sooner or later.
i got about 4 inches last January so i have bout 5 yrs to go lol

As a matter of fact Charlotte has did it 18 times. A trace is a snowless winter in my book.
Screenshot_20230106_191444_Gallery.jpg

Weird that Charlotte got only a trace in 1992. I'm pretty sure Atlanta got several inches that winter.
That storm in January 1992 really weakened as it moved east and missed CLT to the south. I think Columbia, Myrtle Beach, and Wilmington all got around and inch from it.

Weird that Charlotte got only a trace in 1992. I'm pretty sure Atlanta got several inches that winter.
If you grow up in Carrollton you had totally different weather than the northern suburbs of Atlanta especially the cad areas. Your weather was more like Alabama.

I lived in Northern GVL county.
I got a trace that winter but it was a tough winter.
And I agree that a trace isn't really winter weather.
But I see several ppl on here canceling winter based upon Analogs & long Range models.
Maybe that turns out to be true but to me it's foolish too trust any model past 128 hours.
Like I said earlier,
I'll punt in April.
Until then I'll expect to see something timing based that's not caught by any model before 72 - 96 hours.
We've had big dogs in terrible patterns during bad analog years.
87 & 88 come to mind.

Btw if ur bar is a trace.
Then I have already gotten that in Dec.
My bar is a lil higher than that.

That stretch in the early 90s is brutal
As someone who grew up just west of Charlotte, the 90s were brutal with the exception of the 93 superstorm and the 96 blizzard. Those are literally the two storms of note between February 1988 and December 1999. Honestly, the superstorm was only good for those of us west as well

As a comparison, 2010-2020 period was honestly decent. 2000-2010 was not bad as well.

Last edited:
But I see several ppl on here canceling winter based upon Analogs & long Range models.
Maybe that turns out to be true but to me it's foolish too trust any model past 128 hours.
Like I said earlier,
I'll punt in April.
Until then I'll expect to see something timing based that's not caught by any model before 72 - 96 hours.
87 & 88 come to mind.

Yeah mine is too. I at least like a good 1-2 every year.

That storm in January 1992 really weakened as it moved east and missed CLT to the south. I think Columbia, Myrtle Beach, and Wilmington all got around and inch from it.
I remember this very well. I kept looking for snow for hours that night and finally gave up on it. That was one of several near misses we had from December 1988 through. Jan 1992.

Like I said earlier,
I'll punt in April.
87 & 88 come to mind.

1987 was not a bad year for winter weather through, especially for western NC. 4 big snowstorms in the mountains including a big one in early April that dropped 1-2 feet in most mountain locations in NC. We only had one real storm in 1988, but what a monster that was though. Heavy snow at 17 degrees here and was out of school for over a week.

Back