• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

That's a good point because January 2016 was honestly not bad.

I think I have PTSD from that December, though.
January 2016 brought snowzilla to Nashville. Pretty sure that month was still above normal here. In fact most winter months have been above normal here since 2015 yet we’ve had some incredible winters the last 8 years. Not sure why or how the winters have been so great this last decade here with the warmer temps but I’m not complaining. With this January looking warm for at least the first half, maybe we are setting up for a FAB FEBRUARY ????
Snowzilla Pics January 2016.
BD95AFCF-F0AC-48F3-84DE-A74A1CE57FB3.jpegE040FFB4-9238-40B9-B799-C2735F0AED00.jpegE6F3775E-C3F7-4272-9E55-A5AB0F45842B.jpeg

Those are good points, but I doubt it locks in for all that long. It'll take some time to come out of, but unless we have continuous unfavorable tropical forcing or strong nino-like SSTs or a super wound up SPV, we'll be more variable than it looks right now....over the longer time frames, I mean.
Absolutely… IMHO I think what were seeing is the effects of a dying 3 year Niña going into a neutral ENSO,and we’re just getting different looks. This is why this winter in particular was going to be so difficult for long range forecasting because our sampling of 3rd year Niña is so small

NBM is even higher
1672963200-iYJ2oVLlJ7c.png

January 2016 brought snowzilla to Nashville. Pretty sure that month was still above normal here. In fact most winter months have been above normal here since 2015 yet we’ve had some incredible winters the last 8 years. Not sure why or how the winters have been so great this last decade here with the warmer temps but I’m not complaining. With this January looking warm for at least the first half, maybe we are setting up for a FAB FEBRUARY ????
View attachment 128871View attachment 128872View attachment 128873
I remember this storm had the rare southeast trend right up to go time. The night before I was forecasted to get some just some onset ice and maybe some backside flurries. Instead I saw a quick 1/2” of snow and then a couple inches of sleet, and thin glaze of ZR and then another coating of snow on the backside.

CFS looks pretty good after we get past 1st week of Jan. Big improvment.GEFS doesnt. Check the Eps in a little while. Bad when your not only not chasing a frozen threat on the models, but instead just hunting a pattern to chase. Got a big hole to dig out of. But things change quick in the LR.

CFS looks pretty good after we get past 1st week of Jan. Big improvment.GEFS doesnt. Check the Eps in a little while. Bad when your not only not chasing a frozen threat on the models, but instead just hunting a pattern to chase. Got a big hole to dig out of. But things change quick in the LR.
We should have a decent look once we get out to Jan 8th or so and can view the LR from there

I remember this storm had the rare southeast trend right up to go time. The night before I was forecasted to get some just some onset ice and maybe some backside flurries. Instead I saw a quick 1/2” of snow and then a couple inches of sleet, and thin glaze of ZR and then another coating of snow on the backside.
Local weather was predicting 4-5 inches here the day before the storm. However the night before the models brought the cold in quicker and it was clear it would be a big storm. I believe the forecast was for 8 inches and I ended up with 12. This was the heaviest snow I’ve ever seen at home as all of this fell in 6 hours. At the beginning we had 3inch per hour rates and averaged about 2 inches per hour! I do believe Memphis got the screw job however as they were expecting a big snow and didn’t get much more the a dusting to an inch.

The pacific is about to get really bad. Just a parade of waves slamming into the west coast one after the other. PAC jet is screaming. How do we disrupt that? Or are we about to go full on Niño and throw our hands in the air?
It’s really a good pattern for the west, which has seemed to be in perma- drought , the last 5-10 years! I’ll gladly let them have my snow, if it can fill up their reservoirs and give them the snowpack they need to not have raging forest fires every year! Good on them!

It’s really a good pattern for the west, which has seemed to be in perma- drought , the last 5-10 years! I’ll gladly let them have my snow, if it can fill up their reservoirs and give them the snowpack they need to not have raging forest fires every year! Good on them!
Hopefully some good rains for Lake Mead as well.

View attachment 128871View attachment 128872View attachment 128873
Timing my friend!
It's always about timing!
In these analogs 87 stands out to me...
GSP North in GVL county had a FOOT.
That was a warm winter overall.
And was extremely warm prior too that.
As for patterns,
I prefer a weak La Nina.
More cold to work with in general to our North & West.

The pacific is about to get really bad. Just a parade of waves slamming into the west coast one after the other. PAC jet is screaming. How do we disrupt that? Or are we about to go full on Niño and throw our hands in the air?
Yes we are ("about to go full on <Super> Niño and throw our hands in the air"). Mid to late Jan is when we need to cash in (and peak temperature climo) as the nightmare scenario is this extended Pac Jet continues well into January before snapping back quickly into a traditional La Nina look (Aleutian Ridge / -PNA) going into early Feb as the tropical convection signal moves back around into the Indian Ocean and Maritime Continent. Think we need to just sit tight for now though and see if we can get some better looks over the next week as we move toward mid-late Jan. I wouldn't expect the Pac Jet to continue raging into late Jan

Zm0sc1y.png

Very true! But then again, you saying you'll give up snow is meaningless, as you're guaranteed a bunch of it every year. ☃️

Back