• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

Yeah this could work during fros torch. This is that polar pacific air. Yes it’s not overwhelming cold but in January this is cold enough stuff that we can certainly work with. Models have trended to some sort of low pressure moving like this transiently off the coast.. it’s interesting and something to watch on models as we move forward. But don’t let anyone tell you we still can’t score even during periods that appear not as favorable. (I still believe we’re generally mild through January 15th but doesn’t mean we still can’t make something happen) 98F140F0-9CE5-429D-BDF2-375D45AB7070.jpeg01ED418F-2639-4C0E-AEDB-4FCE434BC5F1.jpeg

Maybe that will happen and no one can accuse me of being a snow optimist but usually when the US east of the rockies is warm then Alaska and the west are colder than normal. No way that verifies. Either its warm here and cold in Alaska or it will be the opposite but not both.

I am going to break this as gently but directly as I know how; these two things do not go together. You're going to have a lot of frustration ahead!
:)
When I see a snow pattern, I’ll bite. I don’t see one through 384 on ensembles. so bring on warmth !!

You know it’s a bad pattern, when this is your snow mean heading into early/mid January View attachment 128860
It doesn't do us much good when it's loaded with snowy members either. But, like you, I'm not expecting much in the way of wintry threats for the next couple of weeks. Fortunately for us cold lovers, our weather prediction tools don't seem to have a lot of skill past 2 or 3 weeks. So, it's entirely possible that we could start seeing signs of a change back in the next few days. Plus, we really haven't had any sustained 6 week patterns in a good while. I doubt that changes all of a sudden.

It doesn't do us much good when it's loaded with snowy members either. But, like you, I'm not expecting much in the way of wintry threats for the next couple of weeks. Fortunately for us cold lovers, our weather prediction tools don't seem to have a lot of skill past 2 or 3 weeks. So, it's entirely possible that we could start seeing signs of a change back in the next few days. Plus, we really haven't had any sustained 6 week patterns in a good while. I doubt that changes all of a sudden.
Remember when it looked like we were going to be cold through early January a couple of weeks ago and how quickly it changes? The “pattern” appears to be lasting in 2 week spurts and has been going back to September. Until that breaks, I’m expecting a change by the 15th. We will be in peak or just after climo as well. Besides we never have wall to wall warmth or cold in winter so you should expect spells or above and below average temps.

When I see a snow pattern, I’ll bite. I don’t see one through 384 on ensembles. so bring on warmth !!
I don’t think your opinion is weird at all. I’m in total agreement. We are going above freezing for the first time in 6 days at the house here and it mostly sucked…dry, cold, below zero, pipes freezing…and no snow. Yuck…give me snow above warmth but not just cold.

I don’t think your opinion is weird at all. I’m in total agreement. We are going above freezing for the first time in 6 days at the house here and it mostly sucked…dry, cold, below zero, pipes freezing…and no snow. Yuck…give me snow above warmth but not just cold.
Bingo. You and Fro are my climate heroes.

Yep exactly, the reason why I was frothing over the last pattern was because, it had the ability to produce snow, but I didn’t. Some good patterns just don’t produce. the cold was absolutely miserable, it was cool for the 1st day but I got old quick. I mean who enjoys that sort of stuff ? The outdoors is essential to one’s health, vitamins and just mental health. and 60 degree weather is perfect outdoor weather. Next week and a half looks good for that. I’m happy. When I start seeing a look that supports snow on ensembles, I start to post the maps everyone loves again.

Back