• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

I’m sorry, but I’m serious, you can ask folks on here, Im a snow weenie, but I’m the biggest warm weenie here besides lick. look at the Feb/March/April/May threads from last year
Come on Fro. We all know. Hang in there buddy. You and lick still have quite a ways to go till May. But you live in the southeast. You will get your warmups as always but im afraid more cold is coming down the road for you also as it's not even January yet. For now though, the 10 day or so warmup will give you and lick a much needed chance to thaw out and knock the ice off. Enjoy your warm up.

Also, this is just antidotal, but I don't agree with people rooting for the coldest part of the polar vortex to be on our side of the globe. In general, it almost always winds up staying more stationary in northern Canada and we get SE ridge treatment, or cold/dry with cutters in between.

Just my opinion going off memory from the last 20 years of winter pattern watching.
We have already seen what super cold air can do for us in these latitudes.

Interesting tweet here. But like Fro pointed out earlier, 50/50 region isnt an exact match to validate this point imo.

View attachment 128827
But Joe is missing a key element on this map. Lower heights over the Atlantic. This look is all fine and dandy in getting moisture, but there's no cold air around. The snow is dead in the SE -- this should say something.

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-east-snow_96hr_inch-3524800.png

But Joe is missing a key element on this map. Lower heights over the Atlantic. This look is all fine and dandy in getting moisture, but there's no cold air around. The snow is dead in the SE -- this should say something.

View attachment 128828
Yep no 50/50 low with the look showing up mid jan. It’s been a struggle all winter long so far. The look showing up is a mid pattern at best. Favors mountain and interior NE snow events and cold rains around here. It isn’t a snow look or a look to even get excited about. 50/50 low is a key element in NC winter storms

View attachment 128828
And the block N of Ak

View attachment 128828
Well we saw this map look great for the end of December for a few weeks and we see how that turned out. So this map really means nothing lol

I’ll continue to say as I’ve always thought. Pattern change is not coming early to mid January. It’s mid to late January when we should see colder and more potential for storms of the winter variety. Everyone should be expecting warmer than usual weather through January 15th. That’s always been the expectation.

The end of the run, I would love to see that happen. It looks similar to this past week. However, with a more active STJ. What confuses me is the block heading to the Aleutian with a stormy Russia. Thought a more active Siberia was bad.

cfs-daily-all-avg-globe-z500_anom_7day-1672142400-1674518400-1675987200-10.gif

Attachments

• cfs-daily-all-avg-globe-z500_anom_7day-1672142400-1674518400-1675987200-10.gif
    cfs-daily-all-avg-globe-z500_anom_7day-1672142400-1674518400-1675987200-10.gif
    4.6 MB · Views: 25
I know this is a weather forum and we talk weather, but like I mentioned a few days ago, we take a long break until at least mid January, we won't miss anything or probably later than that. Hopefully we get into a favorable pattern sometime in January so we don't totally lose that month

View attachment 128828
In his video he said mid Atlantic and northeast. Never mentioned southeast as far as after the torch

GFS brings releif from the heat wave by Jan 6th. If you go back and look theres a 24 hour period where it snows over 60 inches in the Sierra Nevada and its still spitting snow on this frame. But thats insane rates for 24 hrs. Course its also the gfs op

Attachments

• 1672202455976.png
    1672202455976.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
Back