• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

It will be interesting to see if the Euro suite lines up with the GEFS advertising of a pattern change around 1/7- 1/9. The El Nino is on its way for 2023. So who knows as we transition and fade from la nina, what the pacific is gonna do short term, Jan15-Mar in paticular.

1672151864385.png

Yep, not a good trend the last day. as we get closer we’re trending to more pac jet. Lower heights on the EC but it wouldn’t be much cold with this. Like I said not a terrible look, I’m honestly a bit nervous we do the same thing where we get a transient good pattern with legit cold, then return quickly to a more traditional La Niña look View attachment 128775
When is the SSW event supposed to occur? Coupled with -nao/ao ?

This look isn’t bad, but isn’t great honestly. This looks very polar pacific esque, that can get the job done now, but lack of 50/50 with a stale airmass isn’t screaming winter storm pattern. Need to see heights build in AK/above AK for any legit cold air. It’s a active look, but I’ve seen more cold rains with this look more then often View attachment 128772
I’m not honestly that worried about this at this point. For one this is January 11th and I was honestly expecting we get the ball rolling around the 15-20th so the fact that we could get some close calls before then is nice. Also that strat warming is really going to make an impact on our sensible weather in my opinion. Models don’t even pick up on huge things like that until we get down the road from them. Obviously the cold rains aren’t ideal but a close call is a close call and maybe this time around we can lean on the better half of those close calls instead of on the 34 rain side. Agreed for large portion of the board this isn’t the best look. But I think once models reflect strat warming in our weather pattern things will improve everywhere.

Never fails , lol… you can tell when things start to get desperate … the ole ssw event wording comes out . Lol
We just saw the coldest air in decades and a few light snow events in part of the SE. press x doubt on “desperate” for some. You was saying the cold wouldn’t show up or was not going past hour 240 your not slick ? you just spent days below freezing man

JB shouldnt be teasing talking 2013/2014 winter chatter lol.The winter of 2013/2014 was spectacular in Greensboro.
We where +5 in December. Then January,Feb and March ended up being all BN. That March alone we had 5 seperate Frozen winter storms,mostly ice here. Caught several trace to 1 inch events Jan and Feb. FEB also had a 7 incher. Early Jan was BN,warmed about a week, then by late Jan was stupid cold. Feb averaged BN, but most of the goods where first 10 days, took a break,then March was top 5 historic. Ended up -6 for that month.

We just saw the coldest air in decades and a few light snow events in part of the SE. press x doubt on “desperate” for some. You was saying the cold wouldn’t show up or was not going past hour 240 your not slick ? you just spent days below freezing man
Yea no complaints here. Obviously missed on the frozen precip in MBY, save 5 minute snow shower. But we cant ask for much else. The Cold was very Impressive. If we dont avg AN tommorow, it will have been 16 straight days BN. 5 degrees being the coldest morning, with a negative 12 windchill on brown ground. GBORO will end up -4.
Heck TN had a great December, two seperate snow events right before and right after Christmas.

Concerning yet exciting to hear news of a disrupted PV. Where will it eventually set up shop? I can say with the last cold that came through this past weekend, there were many people around these parts with busted pipes. If such a disruption happens and the PV sets up over NA, a lot of people are going to be dealing with the same issues once more.

How many months have we been in a repeating pattern where the first week of the month is warm and then it gradually gets colder? I think it started in October possibly. Should be easier to cash in if the same thing happens in January I would think.

How many months have we been in a repeating pattern where the first week of the month is warm and then it gradually gets colder? I think it started in October possibly. Should be easier to cash in if the same thing happens in January I would think.
It’s generally just how weather works tbh. Equal and opposite reactions. There’s usually always a thaw of sorts after a big time cold period. The atmosphere just likes to even things out in the long run. Obviously there are triggers that can make a pattern last longer than it’s counterpart but it’s all in the science of the atmosphere and very interesting to watch unfold sometimes.

It’s generally just how weather works tbh. Equal and opposite reactions. There’s usually always a thaw of sorts after a big time cold period. The atmosphere just likes to even things out in the long run. Obviously there are triggers that can make a pattern last longer than it’s counterpart but it’s all in the science of the atmosphere and very interesting to watch unfold sometimes.

Agree, sort of. Doesn’t seem equal and opposite. The thaw and warm periods are decidedly longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back