• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Sally

Looks like SW shear this AM. TWC says it will accelerate as it gets further N into GA, and that will save GA and Carolinas from disastrous flooding

Sally seems to be a bit better on recon's first pass this morning. Pressure is also falling now. Extraps in the upper 970s vs low 980s
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_4.png
This morning 6z has her dropping about 12 mb lower. This is very possible given how the storm is improving atm

My wild guess is for it to be a little stronger than Gordon of 2018, which was at a similar strength at this point. It was also going over similarly very warm 30C SSTs and had similar shear to deal with. The track was very similar and it was also during the heart of the season. Gordon ended up at 70 mph at peak, which included landfall strength. I'm guessing Sally will peak as a cat 1 around 85 mph with very heavy rainfall from a slow mover being the biggest danger.

If she weren't as sheared as she is now, I might have gone near 100 mph/cat 2. Regardless, even then flooding from rainfall would likely still have been the biggest danger. And I'm not saying 100 mph is impossible. I'm saying I'm not expecting it to be that strong as of now.

Gordon of 2018:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_Storm_Gordon_(2018)

Bump. I should have gone with 100 mph max strength when offshore instead of 85. Otherwise, it being back down to a cat 1 H isn’t surprising with it being a very slow mover when looking back at history. The extremely heavy rainfall well inland is still looking to be the biggest overall impact imo. The storm’s own wake along in some cases with somewhat drier air from nearby land normally starts to work against a H getting stronger when moving very slowly just offshore. However, the very long duration of surge along with very long periods of solid TS force to cat 1 H winds along and near the coast are/will also still be a big story. We’ll have to wait til landfall to know the final result on strength obviously as nothing is set in stone. But TS force winds for a very long period can easily have more impact than stronger winds from a faster moving storm. In addition, storm surge can be higher from a somewhat weaker but very slow mover vs a stronger faster mover because of the many hours of water being pushed ashore.

The peak strength at landfall does not tell the whole story. The significance of very long duration often trumps the significance of landfall strength and not necessarily just because of heavier rainfall.

Down to 80

Definitely gonna be a water storm

Still major impacts regardless. That slight weakening of the highest winds is not that important imo. Even if it weakens further before LF.

Looks like the center is firing up storms. Wouldn't be surprise if theres an uptick in intensity right at before LF.

Most models have been showing a uptick before landfall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like the center is firing up storms. Wouldn't be surprise if theres an uptick in intensity right at before LF.
The only way this strengthens is if it moves NE prior to lf and soon, this would lessen the effects of shear and get it away from what is most likely cooling waters. Either way, proximity to land, some dry air intrusion, slow movement all are against any uptick in intensity.

The only way this strengthens is if it moves NE prior to lf and soon, this would lessen the effects of shear and get it away from what is most likely cooling waters. Either way, proximity to land, some dry air intrusion, slow movement all are against any uptick in intensity.

It's probably not even a hurricane anymore looking at recon anyway I bet it stays around 75-85 mph generously unless some better reports come in

Back