• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Dorian

After watching Levi’s video I truly do feel for the forecasters at the NHC. It’s not just a ridge, there’s so many variables in this forecast that have huge implications with even the slightest change. Because of the shape of the SE coastline, a simple mistake in the strength/weakness in the variables is the difference between a devastating landfall in Florida, a landfall near SC/NC, or an OTS track. This is not a simple track and a shift of 20 miles east or west could be all the difference.

The biggest takeaway of what he said in this video was how forecasting a hurricane landfall at day 4-5 leads has on average a 200 mile error. I already knew that, but it's worth remembering. That's why my confidence in an OTS scenario is just as low as any other scenario at this point. So many moving parts causing so many subtle changes.
Adding to you comment about 200 mile error, he says the difference in the models is a 50 mile difference of on versus off shore. This is too subtle for the models to forecast.

After watching Levi’s video I truly do feel for the forecasters at the NHC. It’s not just a ridge, there’s so many variables in this forecast that have huge implications with even the slightest change. Because of the shape of the SE coastline, a simple mistake in the strength/weakness in the variables is the difference between a devastating landfall in Florida, a landfall near SC/NC, or an OTS track. This is not a simple track and a shift of 20 miles east or west could be all the difference.
that's why I spent another $250.00 today ... to be ready for 10 days of no power if need be (done that show a few times and I hate the re-runs) ...

Pretty clear on where the short term movement is going to be. It's on that heading now. Next 24-36 hours movement super critical.
View attachment 22533
One of the best tools going ... see the little bowling alley? Problem is, it's fluid, but watch the alley every few hours and you've got a pretty good notion of "what" ...

I took away something else from Levi’s video. Levi pointed out the variables on the field play a certain role *when* the hurricane arrives. AKA...a stall or erratic movement throws everything off on where the trough and ridge will be and their respective strengths or weakness. Hurricane forward speed or lack of is and already has played a major role into why things are changing. No one wants this thing to be left behind as a CAT 5 and drift west.

I wonder what it be like to fly a kite in the eye wall right about now.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See Hurricane Michael Youtube video in Florida of being in the eye on land. Gives a good idea of flying a kite in the calm then into a eye-wall.

Back