• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Freezing Rain, Sleet, Snow, Rain...Kitchen Sink (12/15-16)

Allan Huffman and Jonathan wall are having good convos about what I’m talking about on Twitter right now .. they know their stuff that’s for sure
Yeah can't disagree with their thoughts. Most models only get RDUs dew down into the mid 20s and we may be losing the real quality tap into the cold dry feed by Wednesday morning. Still wouldn't be surprised to see a start as sleet or a period of 32/32 freezing rain

Imo I think we should go more with the euro, GFS might be a little bit to cold (doesn’t it have a cold bias ?) same with CMC it’s to cold a lot of the time, NAM should be coming into range soon, let’s see what it shows with regards to thermals over the next few days
Idk man I feel like I remember the euro being too warm at 2m in some previous CAD scenarios but that could have been before the upgrades. Thing is right now we are in a situation where 2-3 degrees makes such a big difference.

EURO says it’s not impressed with this event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No its not. And until you have the Euro you don't have a chance. I'll believe that until I get burned by it. And so far I haven't. NC foothills are in play for minor event and thats it. Could change but not likely.

Idk man I feel like I remember the euro being too warm at 2m in some previous CAD scenarios but that could have been before the upgrades. Thing is right now we are in a situation where 2-3 degrees makes such a big difference.
That’s a good point, we just gotta wait for NAM at this point, because euro for many areas was rain and 33-35 which is to close of a call

No its not. And until you have the Euro you don't have a chance. I'll believe that until I get burned by it. And so far I haven't. NC foothills are in play for minor event and thats it. Could change but not likely.
True, but we got burned by it last February. Every single model had us with snow, while the Euro and its ensembles kept us mostly rain until 24 hours before the event.

Euro hasn’t been great lately either tho, for example last February’s snow in NC it was suppressed even when the CAMs showed something and the NAM/GFS/CMC/UK showed something
I still agree it’s probably one of the best models right now but all models have taken a hit especially from C19 and lack of planes getting data

So catching up, yeah I think the Euro is the way to go. With dew points marginal, surface temps marginal, I just don't see any real issues other than mountains and north of I-40 perhaps. For MBY some token ice then rain is what I'm expecting. I'll be watching surface temps and dew points but so far I'm not really impressed for the southern piedmont.

Euro hasn’t been great lately either tho, for example last February’s snow in NC it was suppressed even when the CAMs showed something and the NAM/GFS/CMC/UK showed something
I still agree it’s probably one of the best models right now but all models have taken a hit especially from C19 and lack of planes getting data
Euro in years past has had some trouble with 2m Temps and Dp with Cad events. At least down here and into ne GA. But howling has it been since we've had a decent Cad event and the upgrades since the...so who knows. Will be fun to see how it scores and its still not a good idea to bet against. Mesoscale is for sure the way to go with so many variables and a couple degrees here and there meaning sooo much with these.
This idea on Ukie of a Meso high developing in VA has me more interested...could really help areas that aren't quite cold enough at the beginning(not ONSET)..LOL

Damn perfection/ textbook high location! SE Canada or Upstate NY! I think somebody’s gonna get tree crushing glaze and not the good kind like at KK
Can't believe you're in Iowa and not here awaiting a 33 rain! But that high location has trended very favorable for us..Its gonna be slick in NC for sure..not sure if we get in on it or not

Euro had been nowhere near where it used to be since Covid. It definitely has its flaws and even in the past overdid the temperatures for CAD by 2-4 degrees around here during past events

Y'all do you realize just a couple of days ago the Euro showed a snow storm for the Mid-South for Monday lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Of course. Like any model beyond 7 days it isn't great. But by 96 hrs it has a handle on the pattern and very rarely trends favorable around here this close to an event. I hate that model with a passion but respect it. I love the CMC but know it's full of ----

The European suite is the least enthusiastic about the 50/50 low. While basically every other model has trended this feature stronger and/or further SW, the Euro had it weaker and further NE at 12z than previous runs. This feature is over SW Canada right now, so it's a little bizarre to see this sort of disagreement. I guess hopefully that means we'll get a consensus soon? Maybe?

Back